Barbara (The Bibliophage)'s Reviews > Lincoln in the Bardo

Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders

This is an altogether strange novel, which makes it hard to review. And yet, I found it creative and enchanting. You've probably read about its premise because there's been so much related buzz. Imagine a grieving President Lincoln who, having just lost his son Willie, visits the cemetery twice following the burial. Saunders introduces us to a small number of people, and a great number of ghosts. And, boy, do these ghosts love to talk! All-in-all, it makes for an entertaining read, no matter how odd the structure.

I saw Saunders speak in December and learned that he's been writing this for well over a decade. I also felt the passion he has for the history surrounding his story of Lincoln. It seems light but there are many thought-provoking themes. I suggest reading it in as few sittings as possible.

I was most moved by the passages expressing Lincoln's deep grief. And throughout the book I wondered where the story could possibly be headed. And as it developed, Saunders brings purpose and connections to all the main characters stories. It's a masterful endeavor that, for me, lived up to its hype.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lincoln in the Bardo.

September 30, 2016 – Shelved
February 27, 2017 – Finished Reading
March 5, 2017 – Shelved as: historical-fiction-with-a-twist
March 17, 2017 – Shelved as: litsy-reading-challenge-2017
March 26, 2017 – Shelved as: grief-and-afterlife

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Maggie I really want to listen to the audio now... amazing cast. I could see this adapted as a play.

message 2: by Barbara (The Bibliophage) (last edited Mar 02, 2017 05:33AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Barbara (The Bibliophage) Maggie wrote: "I really want to listen to the audio now... amazing cast. I could see this adapted as a play."

I'll probably listen to the audio book also, just because it's so groundbreaking. But some of the people on Litsy who started with the audio are talking about being confused and frustrated. For me, starting with print was perfect.