Katy's Reviews > Bloodshot

Jun 16, 2011

bookshelves: galley-for-review, vine-book
Recommended to Katy by: Amazon.com Vine

Read and reviewed in 2010

Cherie Priest has created a great new character and added a fresh new face to the Urban Fantasy genre with Bloodshot's Raylene Pendle/Cheshire Red. A vampire and a professional thief, Ray is very good at what she does, but she is also highly OCD and prone to panic and anxiety attacks, which makes her much more "real" and likable than many characters in Urban Fantasy that are just all tough with no faults. Ray also tends to collect around herself a rather eclectic and motley crew of characters - a pair of kids that squat in a warehouse that she owns (and stores her ill-gotten gains inside), a fellow vampire who has escaped from a sinister government group that did experiments on supernaturals - leaving him blind, and an ex-Navy SEAL who is also a kicking drag queen! With characters like these, you know the book is going to be great.

The basic plot is that Ian - the blinded vampire - wants Ray to find and steal the medical documentation kept on him while he was under government control so that he can hopefully have some of the damage reversed. Unfortunately no sooner does Ray begin her research than Men in Black start showing up all over the place to try to run her down.

This is a must-read for anyone who enjoys vampire novels, Urban Fantasy and/or paranormal thrillers. Don't miss it!!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bloodshot.

Quotes Katy Liked

Cherie Priest
“I had an irritating flash of nervousness, wondering if he was right outside—or across the street, or downstairs, or hiding in a closet. Because I couldn’t stop myself, I rushed to the hall closet and flung it open to make sure. Packed”

Cherie Priest
“You can learn a lot about someone by his teeth. Or her teeth. Especially vampires. For some of us, hygiene goes out the window when our body temperature drops. We might not need much in the way of deodorant, but I swear—a little Listerine never hurt anybody.”

Cherie Priest
“So they pretended on paper that you were a chimp and tinkered with your eyes, and the animal rights people got hold of the news, and they were incensed on your behalf. Or they would’ve been, if you’d been a monkey. Do”

Cherie Priest
“Above me, the moon spun low across the sky and a few watery clouds hung from the stars like cobwebs. In”

Cherie Priest
“I suppose it’s like newlywed sex. The first few years, you get busy anytime, anywhere, baby. But after a few anniversaries, you’d rather stay up and watch Leno.”

Cherie Priest
“I’d seen better days, but I wasn’t about to instigate widespread panic with my appearance, either. I made a show of washing up and pretending that I was an ordinary, civilized woman who was, perhaps, recovering from a bad date—and who had most certainly not been hiding bodies in anybody’s basement.”

Cherie Priest
“I’d learned that Holtzer Point was a top secret facility in St. Paul, Minnesota. I’d gathered that much already, but it was nice to have it confirmed by a series of websites that appeared to have been composed by middle-school-aged conspiracy theorists with a passion for stupid-looking animated graphics.”

Cherie Priest
“Depending on which frothy-mouthed Internet pulpit-beater I chose to believe, Holzter Point might conceal anything from alien artifacts to Bigfoot’s sperm samples, plus a few pickled flipper babies from Three Mile Island and Jimmy Hoffa’s stomach contents. I’d like to make fun of those guys, but I had information from a blind vampire that the storage facility held details of medical experiments conducted by the military on the unwilling undead. So far be it from me to call anyone nuts.”

Cherie Priest
“As far as the Internet was concerned, it didn’t exist. And in this day and age, if the Internet says it doesn’t exist, it’s either dead boring or totally fascinating in a top secret men-in-black kind of way.”

Cherie Priest
“Someone else’s phone rang twice, and was answered by a scowl I could hear all the way over on my end of the line.”

Cherie Priest
“If the military knew about vampires, and it knew about a few of the other less conventional brands of humanity, too, then what was the big plot? They obviously weren’t trying to recruit us, which was sort of a shame. I imagined a full unit of vampire soldiers and I got a little giddy, and distracted. Bad idea, maybe. But it’d be epic, wouldn’t it?”

Cherie Priest
“I hoped to God that I was overstating the urgency, but my internal Panic O’Matic assured me that heavily armed commandos were already rifling through my underwear drawer.”

Cherie Priest
“if there’s one thing other than traffic in Seattle, it’s coffee. You can’t swing a dead squirrel without hitting a Starbucks, or failing that particular evil empire, an indie establishment.”

Cherie Priest
“I don’t think I make a very convincing dude. I think I look more like a lumberjack lesbian with an eating disorder than a kick-ass drag king.”

Cherie Priest
“Down the street and around the block was a spot called Mean Bean. It advertised gourmet coffee drinks and pay-to-play WiFi, plus printing services at a quarter a page. A quarter a page? Jesus. For that kind of money I could buy my own printer and throw it away when I was finished.”

Cherie Priest
“Some other thief had stolen the stuff I wanted to steal.”

Cherie Priest
“I had to leave the Thunderbird parked entirely too close to a stop sign. But seriously, if the city meant for drivers to keep their cars thirty feet away from the corners, they’d mark the damn corners with paint or something. I’m convinced that it’s a conspiracy to write more tickets and bring in more revenue—so if I looked at it that way, then really, I was just doing my part to support Seattle’s public servants.”

Cherie Priest
“Soon the bare but civilized streets of St. Paul gave way to emptier places with shorter buildings and fewer streetlights … and then no buildings, and no streetlights, and after a few turns I was urging the Nissan along a two-lane road in the middle of what could best be described as the geographic center of Godforsaken, Bumblefuck. The”

Cherie Priest
“Chain link all around with razor wire at the top, the fence was maybe nine feet high. I didn’t see any signs right away, but as I trudged along its length I eventually encountered an admonition to KEEP OUT. PROPERTY MONITORED AND MAINTAINED BY THE UNITED STATES ARMED FORCES. TRESPASSERS WILL BE SHOT. It might as well have said, WELCOME, RAYLENE. LET YOURSELF INSIDE, BUT KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN, M’KAY?”

Cherie Priest
“I slipped on through, slicker than whale shit through an ice floe.”

Cherie Priest
“If you’ve never been to Atlanta, then let me save you a bit of grief. If someone tells you something’s on “Peachtree,” you must demand that they get more specific. There are probably a dozen incarnations of Peachtree, going in at least that many directions through every part of town.”

Cherie Priest
“I found a narrow slot in which to leave my vehicle. I had to bash the bumper of an SUV to squeeze into the nook, but I didn’t exactly shed a tear over the event and no, I didn’t leave a note. That’s what they get for parking too close to a fire hydrant, with one wheel on the curb. An asshole who leaves his (or her) vehicle in such a fashion deserves whatever automotive detailing inconvenience comes his (or her) way.”

Cherie Priest
“If Mattel ever makes a Drag Queen Barbie, they damn well ought to pattern that doll’s proportions after Sister Rose. Those were legs that could crack a horse’s ribs, and they knew how to move.”

Cherie Priest
“Do they know?” “Know what?” “About your car,” she whistled quietly between her teeth. “Not unless they’re magically tracking me by the pixie dust that spills out of my ass. It”

Cherie Priest
“As an old acquaintance of mine used to say, “If you can’t duck it, fuck it.” I’m pretty sure he knew it was duct and not duck, but I’ll forgive him for the sake of the rhyme.”

Cherie Priest
“I can’t place your accent.” “Oh. I wasn’t aware that I had one,” I said coyly. I knew I didn’t have one. I’d been in the Northwest long enough to have matched the bland diction that’s so common there. Unless you want to argue that the absence of an accent is an accent in itself, in which case I’d have to kick you in the shins. And I can kick very hard.”

Cherie Priest
“Fuck you,” he said, resorting to that last argument of vice presidents.”

Cherie Priest
“Sometimes you get a good eyeful of a man-sized action figure—and he knows what you are, and what you can do … and you know what he is, and what he’s done before, or what he’s helping other people do. And you just can’t stand it because for all his bluster and bullshit he’s weak and horrible, and cowardly, and if he caught you, he’d do terrible things to you—the kinds of things that were done to Ian and Isabelle.”

Cherie Priest
“Adrian said, “You sure know how to win friends and influence people.” “That’s why they call me Raylene. It’s Greek for ‘charming.’ ” “You’re so full of shit,” he observed.”

Cherie Priest
“There was nothing I could do but squirm faster and try to trust Adrian, who was surely one of the most competent mere mortals I’d met in years. He had a (small, girlie) gun, he had his wits, and he had … I don’t know. Maybe a silver bikini under his commando-wear, for all I knew.”

Cherie Priest
“I fully planned to burn the place down behind me on general principle. I was getting the hang of arson. It really sends a message, you know? Not only will I kill your dudes and steal your shit, but I will burn your place down behind me. Yes, I will.”

Started Reading
December 4, 2010 – Finished Reading
June 16, 2011 – Shelved
August 21, 2011 – Shelved as: galley-for-review
August 21, 2011 – Shelved as: vine-book
October 19, 2011 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
October 19, 2011 – Shelved as: ebook (Kindle Edition)
February 20, 2016 – Started Reading (Kindle Edition)
February 20, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read (Kindle Edition)
February 20, 2016 –
4.0% "#amreading #CheshireRedReports 1st read as #arc 12/10 &loved it. 2nd reading." (Kindle Edition)
February 20, 2016 –
34.0% "#amreading #CheshireRedReports How is it Ray can see her breath? Vampire=cold" (Kindle Edition)
February 21, 2016 –
83.0% "#amreading #CheshireRedReports Love that Ray unabashedly kills & eats people." (Kindle Edition)
February 21, 2016 – Finished Reading (Kindle Edition)