Zofia Strumillo-Sukiennik's Reviews > Death's End

Death's End by Liu Cixin

I never write reviews, but I will make an exception for this book:

1) I read the the Three Body Problem and The Dark Forest in June 2016 back to back and was devastated to learn that the final instalment would not be available in English until September.

2) I contemplated learning Mandarin in order to shorten the wait.

3) I contemplated Google translating the Chinese edition.

4) Death's End exceeded my expectations.

5) In the future people will take neuro drugs that will selectively erase memories of this trilogy in order to be able to read them again for the first time.

Thank you Cixin Liu!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death's End.

September 26, 2016 – Started Reading
September 28, 2016 – Finished Reading
September 29, 2016 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

Allan Shan Memory erasing is a good idea to regain the feeling

Lucifel Genius, i should say... Just finished few hours back ... Wow... mind blown... the world around us feels so insignificant..

message 3: by Brynn (new)

Brynn This review made me instantly add the series to my 'to-read' list. Thanks!

message 4: by Dongping (new)

Dongping Xie Just a minor correction, one wouldn't need to learn Mandarin (the speaking language) to read books, one just would need to learn Chinese (the characters system) to read them. Actually, there were a lot of Korean and Japanese scholars who don't speak the language but were able to read text in Chinese.

message 5: by Zofia Strumillo-Sukiennik (last edited Jan 27, 2017 05:54AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zofia Strumillo-Sukiennik Dongping wrote: "Just a minor correction, one wouldn't need to learn Mandarin (the speaking language) to read books, one just would need to learn Chinese (the characters system) to read them. Actually, there were a..."

I will do that next time! :)

Yevgen Antymyrov I too thought of some kind of device, but more like in Men in Black.

message 7: by Ilesanmi (new) - added it

Ilesanmi Santiago my my... now you've made me curious! I'm not reading death's end until I read the earlier two....

Duncan Not certain that learning Chinese (or Mandarin) would have been the quicker option than waiting for the translation. ;)

draxtor I have just finished the books. Now I am going to drink so heavily as to erase my memory of them. Then I will reread.

Namista Just finished reading and was looking through reviews. Very much agree with that last one on your list.

message 11: by Rune (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rune Andersen Started out well..too many names and irritations in number 2. This book was incredibly boring at times. I love long books, but not when they circle around and could finish hundreds of pages before.

Brian Bakker one of the best reviews I've read on GoodReads

message 13: by Greg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Greg Williamson They are good enough to read again immediately. No need to forget.

Daniela L. Guzmán I've also contemplated learning Chinese just to re-read the trilogy in its original language.

ChopinFC Great review! I just finished last week...blew me away!