Jess's Reviews > Crosstalk

Crosstalk by Connie Willis

33902010

bookshelves: netgalley-books

This book is set in the future, but the very near future. It does not specify what year, but the Kardashians are mentioned, and apparently Kim & Kanye are still together.

It also mentions Brad & Angelina... I guess I wasn't the only one who totally didn't see their divorce coming. I don't think anyone expected it, and I know the author didn't expect their break up to be announced right as his book was released.

Being set in the near future, most of the events in the story are totally plausible, today. That makes the story unique and different from many books I've read. The main character works at a tech company that's preparing a phone that will rival Apple's new iPhone that is about to be released and supposedly has some kind of secret, crazy awesome new technology. So far, none of this sounds unbelievable in today's society, does it?

That is, except for the one little aspect of couples getting EDDs to connect emotionally with their partners... EDDs are brain implants and allow couples to help them connect with each other and feel what their partner feels. So, that't the exception to similarities to today's capabilities, but who knows what they'll come up with next!

This book was AWESOME! Although it does involve a love triangle of sorts, which I expressed my disapproval of in my review of Wolf Road , it wan't anything even remotely like those I was referring to that are so common in YA books nowadays. Briddey doesn't have to debate over who of the two unlikely suitors is the best choice.

Overall, this book as great and a really entertaining read! It very unique and had lots of unexpected twists and turns along the way. While it might not have as much humor as Spontaneous , it definitely had its fare share of funny!

If you are a fan of YA fantasy or Sci-Fi and want to read a book about the dangers of being too connected, you will love this book! Check it out!

I received this book from the publishers, via NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crosstalk.

September 23, 2016 – Started Reading