Gabija's Reviews > Work: How to Find Joy and Meaning in Each Hour of the Day

Work by Thich Nhat Hanh

Some parts of this book almost make one want to say "yeah, and now let's all hold hands and sing about rainbows in our teddy-bear land office!", but you DON'T have to do everything that's suggested (I even think all of it is possible for certain people in certain workplaces). I noticed that when I held back my skepticism and tried it, I massively benefited from the practices presented in this book. They took some costumisation to feel natural, but that's how it should be I suppose. Also, the huggy-teddy-bear tone in which Thich Nhat Nhanh writes, though it may seem a little... too hippy, actually does miracles; you can FEEL how serene, calm and positive the author is by just opening his book, and the very act of reading all of it already produced a very calming effect for me, before I even could put it into practice.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Work.

Quotes Gabija Liked

Thich Nhat Hanh
“Perhaps one of the reasons we don't enjoy all these activities as much as we could is because we think activities need to be exciting for us to enjoy them. Many people confuse joy and happiness with excitement. But excitement is not the same as happiness. With joy and happiness we have a sense of satisfaction. There's a feeling of satisfaction in being in the here and now, when you recognize you have so many conditions for happiness in the present moment, whether you're sitting, walking, standing, or working.”
Thích Nhất Hạnh, Work: How to Find Joy and Meaning in Each Hour of the Day

January 3, 2018 –
page 43
January 5, 2018 –
page 64
53.33% "Your breakfast is there for you; you have to be there for your breakfast."
January 7, 2018 –
page 80
January 9, 2018 –
page 100
83.33% "For a workspace to function well, there must be a code of behaviour that everyone is willing to accept. Although your job may be to supervise people at work, it doesn't mean you can give orders or create rules and then force people to follow them. If you engage in a power struggle with others, you can never unite happily as an organism, as a community. Using authority doesn't work."
January 14, 2018 –
page 110
91.67% "Happiness is not an individual matter. One person's happiness, if it is true happiness, will have an effect on other people, just as a tree can have a beneficial effect on the world around it. If a tree is healthy, upright and beautiful, even if the tree doesn't do anything, the fact that it is there, healthy and beautiful, can benefit the whole world."
January 17, 2018 – Finished Reading