Bryce Wilson's Reviews > Pigeons from Hell and Other Weird and Fantastic Adventures

Pigeons from Hell and Other Weird and Fantastic Adventures by Robert E. Howard

Mar 13, 2008

bookshelves: horror

Robert E. Howard. Man what can be said, I definitely have a thing for insane geniuses, and he fits the bill to a T.

My personal favorite of his stories and one of the single scariest things I've ever read. Modern readers might be made uncomfortable, by some of the books racial undertones, but this is more simple naivette, rather then the intentional virulent racism of say HP Lovecraft. And like The Naked Prey it's racial politics are more complex then they originally appear. With Howard more or less giving his thumbs up to slaves not merely uprising against and killing their masters, but going the extra mile and damning their immortal souls as well. Now that's some dedication.

Pro-tip: This reading was accompanied by Tom Waits wonderfully creepy Bone Machine, I personally can't think of a better soundtrack to this extremely creepy bit of pulp.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pigeons from Hell and Other Weird and Fantastic Adventures.

Finished Reading
March 13, 2008 – Shelved
May 19, 2008 – Shelved as: horror

message 1: by Steve (last edited Apr 06, 2009 03:03PM) (new)

Steve Never heard of this one by Howard. Sounds like Benito Cereno, the Midnight Chiller version. I do have Bone Machine, so I'm half way there. Thanks!

message 2: by K.T. (last edited Jun 19, 2016 07:22PM) (new)

K.T. Katzmann True story: Based on Sandy Petersen's recommendation, I used Tom Wait's Oily Night as background in our Call of Cthulhu game. It caused such a visceral fear reaction in my friend when mixed with the horror narrative that he can't listen to that song for more than a few seconds without suffering a panic attack.