Heather's Reviews > Counseling With Our Councils: Learning To Minister Together In The Church And In The Family

Counseling With Our Councils by M. Russell Ballard

Jun 15, 2011

bookshelves: leadership, religious
Read from July 10 to 29, 2012

This is a WONDERFUL book illustrating principles of effective meetings and counseling together. It teaches very important leadership skills. It's for church leaders, but the principles can be applied anywhere. I thought that the most helpful insights were probably those shared that emphasize the importance of openly counseling together as a family -- the most important unit in society and an eternal council.

Elder Ballard talks about the Grand Council in heaven, general councils in the Church, local presiding councils, stake councils, ward councils, presidencies and other councils, disciplinary councils and family councils. I think these principles of respectfully listening and sharing together while making decisions are valuable anywhere and everywhere in life! When we meet together are we focusing on the real purpose and what's really important or inconsequential calendaring? Are we using the resources and talents of everyone involved to do the most good and solve the problems we're facing? Are we following the Spirit and doing it His way? Are we sustaining our leaders?

Elder Ballard shares some sweet examples of leaders and others following the Spirit, working together, sustaining each other and acting on decisions. We all have ideas and talents we can use to help others. As we counsel together we can bless many and "where two or three are gathered together in [His] name [and His way], there will [He be] in the midst of them (Matt. 18:20)."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Counseling With Our Councils.