Bry's Reviews > The Pluto Files: The Rise and Fall of America's Favorite Planet

The Pluto Files by Neil deGrasse Tyson

Jun 15, 2011

bookshelves: science, non-fiction, 2011, museums

Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson was voted Sexiest Astrophysicist Alive by people magazine - who would have known such a stud muffin was also an crazy intelligent, funny, and witty writer?!

This book details the history of Pluto's place in both science and people's hearts from the time of it's discovery and naming as a planet all the way to its demotion to a dwarf planet within the Kuiper Belt. Plus it is full of satirical comics and extremely angry and often misspelled letters from damn near homicidal third graders.

If you have ever had a soft spot for the tiny little underdog of a planet or was just curious as to how and why a topic centered around pure science was able to knock 'Brangelina' and Iraq from the front page of the news then you should read this book.

Who knew an astrophysicist could speak/write like a normal human being - plus be totally funny to boot?!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pluto Files.

June 15, 2011 – Started Reading
June 15, 2011 – Shelved
June 15, 2011 – Shelved as: non-fiction
June 15, 2011 – Shelved as: science
June 15, 2011 – Shelved as: 2011
June 15, 2011 –
page 49
23.56% "He is just as funny as a writer as he is as a public speaker. Too fantastic! He can make learning science fun for everyone."
June 16, 2011 –
page 78
37.5% "This guy really knows how to make learning science fun and quite hilarious!"
June 23, 2011 –
page 224
100% "Finished! So funny and informative. Review to come!"
June 23, 2011 – Finished Reading
July 11, 2011 – Shelved as: museums

Greta is Erikasbuddy Oh snap!! That book sounds right up my husband's alley!!

And hooray for stud muffiny geeky nerds!!

I will ALWAYS think of Pluto as a planet ;) Hooray for the underdog!!

message 2: by Bry (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bry Greta is Erikasbuddy wrote: "Oh snap!! That book sounds right up my husband's alley!!

And hooray for stud muffiny geeky nerds!!

I will ALWAYS think of Pluto as a planet ;) Hooray for the underdog!!"

You should get it for him! It was great, and poor lil thin is such the underdog! lol!

Greta is Erikasbuddy Okey dokey!! I shall ;) They have the audiobook at my library so that's gauranteed reading for him :) Plus he loves science :) Thanks for sharing this review!! Most awesome!