Allison Hurd's Reviews > Slaughterhouse-Five

Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut

bookshelves: own-to-read, sff-bookshelf, classics, man-author, sff-2018-challenge, scifi

A rough, mocking, poetic book about the horror of war, of coming undone and trying to find peace in the aftermath. Also one of the best books to use the fourth dimension and time travel I've ever read.

I see in this book Holden Caulfield all grown up, I see Donnie Darko and The Time Traveler's Wife and hundreds of pop culture references that show up in tv, movies, books and plays.

I have nothing to nitpick stylistically about this book--I think it did exactly what the author wanted. I am glad it didn't glamorize death and tragedy. In fact it sort of cuttingly chastised those who find honor and glory in stories about great wars. "All the real soldiers are dead." So it goes.

For a book that is really about one moment in time, and maybe more grandly about a couple of months of time, it spans centuries. For a book about war, it gets right to the heart of love, madness, family, and what it means to be a success. A great book. Enjoyment-wise, I think this is not a 5 star for me--I'd be so pleased if I never read another goddamn book about WW2 ever again. But as I will likely read more books, and this one was immaculate in its voice and execution, I can't help but agree that this book deserves all of the praise it gets.

I listened to the audiobook, there's a 10 minute or so interview with Vonnegut at the end which was as interesting as his novel. Definitely worth checking out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slaughterhouse-Five.

September 28, 2016 – Shelved
December 19, 2018 – Shelved as: classics
December 19, 2018 – Shelved as: man-author
December 19, 2018 – Shelved as: sff-2018-challenge
December 26, 2018 –
29.0% "It feels like Catch 22 but swapping humor for a sort of Hemingway-esque despair."
December 27, 2018 –
47.0% ""How nice, to feel nothing but still get full credit for being alive."

Oof."
December 27, 2018 –
59.0% ""It was very exciting for her, taking his dignity away in the name of love."

<}3"
December 27, 2018 – Shelved as: scifi
December 27, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Dawn Christoffersen I agree with everything, it’s so, so good, this one! I regret it was his first I read, everything else pales in comparison XD

Pujashree Dawn wrote: "I agree with everything, it’s so, so good, this one! I regret it was his first I read, everything else pales in comparison XD"

Same, I have not enjoyed any other works of fiction by him even remotely as much.

Allison Hurd There seem to be adherents of his though. I'll have to carefully select the next one, it sounds like!