Brigitte Staples's Reviews > Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail

Wild by Cheryl Strayed

11201953
Sep 29, 2016

Wild Cheryl Strayed. And she wrote a book about it; although ‘strayed’ doesn’t come close to what Cheryl Strayed did when she took on the epic journey, solo, along the Pacific Crest Trail in west USA at the age of 26, and finally published her bestseller, 'Wild'.
Authors like Pema Chodron explain to us the instructions for mindfulness when the going gets rough in 'When things fall apart'. Authors like Brené Brown explore through research, the indispensable human faculty of vulnerability in 'Daring greatly'. And Cheryl Strayed demonstrates how it’s done, step by excruciating step, on a real mountain range, with the load of all loads on her back, and the equal emotional and psychological weight that flings her, barely prepared, into her journey.
Her mother’s death – as inconceivable yet inevitable as the Pacific Crest Trail itself – and the subsequent slow avalanche of family disintegration, compel Strayed to go ‘wild’.
A coming to terms with her mother’s death, the journey becomes the journeyer. After months of trekking and arriving at the scarred landscape at Crater Lake in Oregon, the landscape becomes a metaphor for the depth of Cheryl’s Strayed’s own wounds, and a promise of healing.
I want to find flaws with this book, to make this a balanced review, but given the magnitude of her story how can I? I’ll never come close to embarking on such a test of mettle. Although given how I feel – my calf muscles strengthening and back straightening as I move through my days around my reading of her book – who knows?
bredit.com.au

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wild.

Quotes Brigitte Liked

Cheryl Strayed
“The father’s job is to teach his children how to be warriors, to give them the confidence to get on the horse to ride into battle when it’s necessary to do so. If you don’t get that from your father, you have to teach yourself.”
Cheryl Strayed, Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail