Stella Lee's Reviews > How to Manage Your Home Without Losing Your Mind: Dealing with Your House's Dirty Little Secrets

How to Manage Your Home Without Losing Your Mind by Dana K. White

My home gets out of control regularly. I never really understood why it would get so crazy when I clean so often.

Most people don't get it, they don't seem to have a problem with their house getting crazy but Dana totally understands. What's more, she's figured out how to fix it!

What really appealed to me is that Dana understands because she's been there, she's lived the mess, she is not the neat freak with no clue what it's like to struggle with keeping a home tidy. She's a naturally mess-prone person who has figured out what it takes to keep a home tidy despite her messy tendencies, and she's put all her hard won experience down on paper so we can all benefit from it.

This book spells out EXACTLY what I need to do to bring my home back from the edge of crazy and make it a calm oasis for my family. Her methods are simple and doable. There's no huge long to-do lists, there's no unrealistic list of house chores, there's no expectation that my home will never end up a mess again. There's just straight forward, achievable methods for getting a mess to not a mess. Methods that will also help to keep mess from happening again, but Dana also acknowledges that people like me can make a mess from thin air and that when that happens all I need to do is employ these methods again. That each time I use these methods in my home, the calm, clean, tidy home I strive for will last longer (despite myself) then the time before, so it's worth re-doing. It's worth trying again. It's worth not giving up just because my home didn't stay perfect forever and ever.

I have been waiting for this book to be released ever since I knew about it so of course I jumped at the chance to get an advance copy so long as I gave a truthful review. I've been following Dana's blog, A Slob Comes Clean, for some time now and I've been using these methods since before she put them all so clearly into easily actionable tasks in this book, so I KNOW they work, from experience. She has helped me to recognise my bad habits and to cultivate good habits.

If you are messy this book will help, if you know someone who is messy this book will help you understand them.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention, How To Manage Your Home Without Losing Your Mind is a fun read! I devoured it as soon as I could and if my life had permitted I would have read it cover to cover in a single sitting. I will be reading it again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Manage Your Home Without Losing Your Mind.

September 27, 2016 – Started Reading