J.C.'s Reviews > Purge

Purge by Sofi Oksanen

Jun 15, 2011

bookshelves: finnish, literature, thriller, movie

Sofi Oksanen's novel is sometimes wonderful, profound, other times confusing. I think too much about the historical details, since the plot jumps back and forth with each chapter, so i often have to sit and think, "okay, this happened in this year, this happened in this year....so what the hell happened in that year in between?"

But i think the point what Sofi is trying to say is not in the details, that's not what the reader should be focusing on. But rather, the relationship of the characters, and the themes of the novel, which are of course shame, guilt, lust, etc. The ending leaves me wanting for a little bit more, not because i want more of the story but because it ends rather abruptly. But, enough about the spoilers.

The book has been translated pretty well, though at times the language feels a bit clunky, and other times works like poetry. I don't think translation can ever be 100% like the original, of course. I can also see how this book was adapted from a play, though that doesn't really hinder the story at all. The historical background for people like me, might be left a bit vague and some reading on the historical context might be needed. Which is a good thing, i think, cause people need to do that kind of thing in their spare time more anyway. That's what the internet was made for, was it not?

All in all, it's a good book, and well worth looking into.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Purge.

June 15, 2011 – Shelved