Leah's Reviews > North and South

North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell

19293522
Sep 27, 2016

Quite possibly a new favorite of mine, rivaling the likes of Jane Austen! There were so many great things about this book, one of them being the lightly woven in the fabric of the story of Faith in God.

Margaret Hale and Mr. Thornton are both left with faults and change in opinions, maturing, and seeing the error of their thoughts and actions makes them both extremely likable. Gaskell does a wonderful job portraying the depths and range of emotions and the resulting actions both take to overcome and have self control over themselves.

The family loyalty without blindness to their wrongs, kindness, humility, grief over ones sins, wisdom and discretion, honoring parents and caring for them In Old age, duty to honesty and integrity in work, hard work ethic praised, character growth, moderation in all circumstances to whats appropriate, and the patience. Oh how I love the timeline and how the events unfold without a rushing, but that months, years unfold in this book. In our modern instantaneous indulgence society, I reveled in the sheer patience each character had in their situations, how they persevered, and how they did not despair of doing good though their hearts were full of sorrow at times, their thoughts were allowed to express but once done held captive and under the submission of a self government and steadfast will. How impatient we are today, only caring for what we want now. This book flies in the face of such notions.

I'm glad my sister in law shared her high opinion of the book ( I love the bbc mini series) which prompted me to read it myself. :)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read North and South.

September 20, 2016 – Started Reading
September 24, 2016 – Finished Reading
September 27, 2016 – Shelved

message 1: by Jess (new) - added it

Jess McGlothlin I've been wanting to read this! I've only seen the mini-series. Thanks for writing this review. :)

Leah Jess, I highly recommend it!! It may become a yearly read for me I enjoyed it so much. Thanks for reading my review.