Duane's Reviews > In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

bookshelves: non-fiction, american-classics, mystery-crime, 2016-book-challenge, rated-books, reviewed-books

With all the commonplace violence we are faced with today, bombarded constantly by a 24/7 news cycle, portrayals of violence in movies, video games, etc., it's easy to see why there may be a level of indifference, even apathy toward the problem. But occasionally a crime is committed that rocks us to the core; a crime so senseless, so brutal, that it defies explanation. This murder of the Clutter family in Holcomb Kansas in 1959 is just such a crime. Senseless: they stole less than 50 dollars. Brutal: they shot their 4 victims in the head at close range with a shotgun.

Of course, this crime, as violent as it was, would have been lost in the annals of crime history if not for Truman Capote. His relentless research, which led to this brilliant 1966 "non-fiction novel"' and the subsequent movie by the same name, will shine a spotlight on this innocent family and their brutal killers, Richard "Dick" Hickock and Perry Smith, for years to come.

One of the interesting side notes for me was the fact that Capote's childhood friend, author Harper Lee, accompanied and assisted him in his research for this book. My reason for 4 stars instead of 5 is my dislike for the genre, and there were a few minor details that bothered me. But it's an extraordinary literary achievement, no doubt, and one that defines Capote's career still today.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Cold Blood.

September 27, 2016 – Shelved
November 25, 2016 – Shelved as: american-classics
November 25, 2016 – Shelved as: non-fiction
November 25, 2016 – Shelved as: reviewed-books
November 25, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Carol Another great review Duane!

message 2: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy This has long been a book I've meant to read but avoided because, like you, I dislike the genre. Still, it's intriguing enough that I'll surely read it one day.

message 3: by Jim (new) - added it

Jim Looks like this book is still fresh for you. You find the "oral biography" of Capote - edited by Plimpton - to be a worth companion. Lots in there by and about the Clutter investigators.

message 4: by Carol (new)

Carol I read this one many years ago and I was mesmerized. At the time, we weren't so bombarded with 24/7 portrayals of violence in the news/movies, etc. A provocative review, Duane.