Odd Oddtest's Reviews > Magic Study

Jun 15, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy, socialism
Read in June, 2007

I've been debating whether to give this 3 or 4 stars. On the one hand, MAGIC STUDY held my attention unwaveringly. I swept right through, oohed and aahed when crazy things happened, and all that jazz. On the other hand, whenever I really took a step back and looked at what I was reading, I just didn't know where the appeal came from![return][return]The return of some old characters from the first novel is a little disappointing, maybe because there's no conflict at all with them; the real conflict comes from an outsider we don't meet until the end. The new characters, also, don't fascinate me nearly as much. It takes on the feel of "Let's follow Yelena, everybody, to see who will try to kill her next!" -- something that had novelty only in the first book. And the writing can be rather stilted.[return][return]But for all that, it's simply a fun, enjoyable book to get through. The high points of MAGIC STUDY are really when the characters and their different loyalties collide. That type of tension between the characters is what makes it exciting. Watching Yelena grow into her magical powers is also a treat.[return][return]My conclusion is this: MAGIC STUDY, while not as gripping as POISON STUDY, is a decent follow-up that fans of the first book will, if anything, enjoy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic Study.