Bonnie's Reviews > The Iron Queen

Jun 15, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: young-adult, 2011-books, fair-folk-and-other-fey, ya-paranormal
Read in February, 2013

This was heads and shoulders better than the last book, but it still doesn't live up to the promise of the first book.

I think the single biggest problem with this series (besides Meghan Chase) is the love story. Because that’s what this series is really about. And if you’re not into it, then you can’t be into the series because everything else is just a vehicle for the Meghan-Ash romance.

Kagawa does have talent. She does. It was shown in the first book and it comes up here again in the scene where Meghan & crew are walking through the deserted Iron King’s realm (okay, not entirely deserted). It is empty and overgrown and filled with a creeping dread. Kagawa has a wonderful imagination and brings both the Never Never and the Iron Realm alive in rich detail. And as I said, she could write a deliciously haunting horror novel.

But the romance. I just don’t understand what makes Meghan so super special that both guys are devotedly in love with her (although, thank God she finally learned how to fight! about time!). And the love triangle is not even that, because clearly Meghan was always going to choose Ash and Puck did not even have a chance – which just makes Puck a sad tagalong who constantly gives up everything for Meghan only for her to spurn him or use him if she’s feeling lonely and desperate. Not only does Puck deserve better, but why does a millenia old trickster fey put up with this shit? He has better things to do with his time!! Oh, and isn’t it not a little bit creepy that he says he’s been in love with her for years when she’s all of fifteen (maybe sixteen now? I can’t remember). There’s about a two-three year span when it’s not completely gross for a really, really, really old guy (even if he looks and acts like a teenage boy) to be in love with a girl who’s still a teen. Please do not tell me he’s been in love with her since she was a child.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron Queen.