Milda Page Runner's Reviews > King of Thorns

King of Thorns by Mark  Lawrence

bookshelves: dark-and-gritty, post-apocalyptic, smart-and-thought-provoking, favourites, fantasy
Recommended to Milda by: Alissa

Sometimes the world slows and you notice every small thing, as if you stood between two beats of eternity’s heart.(...) The air hung heavy with the metallic scent of rain. I wondered: if I stood out there, in the flood, would the rain wrap a grey life and make it shine? Should I stand, arms spread, and raise my face? Let it wash me clean. Or did my stains run too deep?

Err… * picks up the jaw from the floor* Wow!

This book is in an entirely different league than Prince of Thorns. So many layers, so many meanings… Pandora's box of lost memory, Schrödinger's cat in a box, the notes trickling one by one into an all encompassing melody that hits you like trainwreck with the new meaning. I don’t think my review can do it justice.

I did not expect that, but it blew my mind.

I'm not sure if the last book can live up to it.

sometimes it’s easier to love someone who has flaws you can forgive in return for their forgiving yours.

There is no sound more annoying than the chatter of a child, and none more sad than the silence they leave when they are gone.

They say God watches us in every moment. But I think, in some moments, when some deeds are done, he turns his face away.

A time of terror comes. A dark time. The graves continue to open and the Dead King prepares to sail. But the world holds worse things than dead men. A dark time comes.
My time.
If it offends you.
Stop me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read King of Thorns.

Quotes Milda Liked

Mark  Lawrence
“We die a little every day and by degrees we’re reborn into different men, older men in the same clothes, with the same scars.”
Mark Lawrence, King of Thorns

September 27, 2016 – Started Reading
September 27, 2016 – Shelved
September 30, 2016 –
30.0% "“The world eats good men for breakfast,”"
October 3, 2016 –
70.0% "“The world isn’t shaped by reasonable men,” I say. “The world is a thief, a cheat, a murderer. Set a thief to catch a thief they say.”"
October 4, 2016 – Shelved as: dark-and-gritty
October 4, 2016 – Shelved as: post-apocalyptic
October 4, 2016 – Shelved as: smart-and-thought-provoking
October 4, 2016 – Shelved as: favourites
October 4, 2016 – Finished Reading
April 29, 2018 – Shelved as: fantasy

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)

message 1: by Orient (new)

Orient Great review, Milda :))))))) I see, you're hooked entirely :)

Gavin Great review:) This is a fantastic series. It is just so different.

Milda Page Runner Orient wrote: "Great review, Milda :))))))) I see, you're hooked entirely :)"

Thanks Orient! :) I am! Prince of Thorns was good enough, but this one really blew my mind. Don't even know what to expect from the last book in this trilogy.

Milda Page Runner Gavin wrote: "Great review:) This is a fantastic series. It is just so different."

It is different. I really didn't expect to love it. In fact when I started Prince of Thorns - I didn't even expect to finish it... ;)
You never know.

Kaustubh Dudhane Fantastic review! Unfortunately, I had forgotten those brilliant lines. Fortunately, I remember them again. :)

Milda Page Runner Kaustubh wrote: "Fantastic review! Unfortunately, I had forgotten those brilliant lines. Fortunately, I remember them again. :)"

Thank you Kaustubh! Glad to remind you of the good times. :)
I enjoyed your review - it also reminded me of those powerful lines about importance of the memory. I think I was too engrossed in the plot at that point to highlight it! :)

message 7: by Sud666 (new)

Sud666 Nice cover art :)

message 8: by Lee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee I forgot to write a review for the last book, but I was happy with the way the story went and scored it as good as book 2. So plenty to look forward to eh? :)

Milda Page Runner Sud666 wrote: "Nice cover art :)"

Not the worst out there for sure. I like combination of bright red and black'n'white.
But the man in a hood is sooo overused in fantasy.

Milda Page Runner Lee wrote: "I forgot to write a review for the last book, but I was happy with the way the story went and scored it as good as book 2. So plenty to look forward to eh? :)"

Certainly :D And then Red Queen's War after that.
Although I'm gonna need a break with something lighter after this one.

Férial Ha. I know what you mean by "something lighter" (and you have not even read Emperor yet).

NB: The Red Queen is lighter :)

Milda Page Runner Férial wrote: "Ha. I know what you mean by "something lighter" (and you have not even read Emperor yet).

NB: The Red Queen is lighter :)"

Oh dear, is it even more brutal? ^^ I am still trying to forget the scene with the dog from King of Thorns and the scene with the baby (although that one turned out not as bad as I thought it would be).

I got the impression from reviews that The Red Queen is lighter and much more humorous. Looking forward to meet Mr.Lawrence funny side. :)

Férial If by "brutal" you mean "emotionally brutal", then yes, you're in for a treat :)

Milda Page Runner Férial wrote: "If by "brutal" you mean "emotionally brutal", then yes, you're in for a treat :)"

Oh well, I'm already 10% in and hooked on. There is no coming back ;) *braces herself*

/fingers crossed for no more baby killing and no hurting dogs, I wish Miana and Katherine survive too, but that's obviously too much to ask.

Férial *lips sealed*

message 16: by Sud666 (new)

Sud666 Milda wrote: "Sud666 wrote: "Nice cover art :)"

But the man in a hood is sooo overused in fantasy."

very true...

Milda Page Runner Férial wrote: "*lips sealed*"

I wouldn't expect any less of you :)

message 18: by Nelson (new)

Nelson Mmmm this sounds good.

Milda Page Runner Nelson wrote: "Mmmm this sounds good."

It IS good. But in a very dark and brutal way.
Give it a try if you feel adventurous! ;)

Alissa Milda, great, great review! I'm very happy you liked this book, and I don't think the final installment will disappoint you (lips sealed, too, about M&K). I hope you'll dig into The Red Queen afterward, it's absolutely lighter, and coming from Jorg's tale it will feel even sunny -still grimdark eh!

Milda Page Runner Thanks Alissa! :) I would have missed this gem if not for your recommendations.
I am looking forward to reading The Red Queen and now I'm sure I'm going to enjoy it. I will have a break though with the different genres - don't want to burn out on the same world/writer. And last two books of the Broken Empire are 'meaty' and meaningful enough to want some processing time. :)

message 22: by Alissa (last edited Oct 06, 2016 06:16AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alissa Thank you :D Looking forward to your thoughts then. Ehehehe, I understand only too well, lately I've been binge-reading paranormal romance books, not my genre at all (I barely read urban fantasy), and exactly what I need now before more Malazan.

Alina you summarized so well my feelings after finishing this, it was a total blast!!

Milda Page Runner Thanks Alina! :) This one was my favourite book of the trilogy.
Glad you enjoyed it too! :)

Petrik Great review Milda! I really have to start this trilogy too

Milda Page Runner Petrik wrote: "Great review Milda! I really have to start this trilogy too"

Hi Petrik, sorry for late reply - this didn't show up on my notifications. This is great series but it is ultimately dark and brutal, so whilst I recommend it - you have to approach it in the right mood. :)