Stina's Reviews > The Nonrunner's Marathon Guide for Women: Get Off Your Butt and On with Your Training

The Nonrunner's Marathon Guide for Women by Dawn Dais

Jun 15, 2011

bookshelves: non-fiction, 101-in-1001, 2012, fitness
Read from January 31 to February 02, 2012 — I own a copy

Let me preface my review with the following:
*This is not a serious training guide.
*I did not read this as a serious training guide. (I read it more as a memoir.)
*I very much enjoy sarcasm, dry wit, self-depreciating humor.

Now, all that said, I absolutely loved this book. I thought it was hilarious, and found myself laughing out loud (or stiffling my laughter to avoid weird looks from my fellow public transit riders) in almost every section.

As a runner and a someone who is currently training for her first marathon, I thought this was a great read. I coule really identify with the author. Maybe not her exact experiences, but certainly the overall sentiment. I've definitely had my moments during long runs where I was absolutely sure I was going to die inthat very moment. I'm sure as I train for my first marathon there will be times I absolutely hate running and wonder "WTF was I thinking when I signed up for these shenanigan?!" Running, especially distance training, isn't all rainbows and sunshine and kittens, and I appreciated the author's ability to find the humor in the moments of suck.

Of course the book is not without it's faults. Things do get a bit dedundent by the end. I definitely wouldn't take much of her "advice" seriously, but she also makes it pretty clear that she's not really qualified to get serious running advice. I can see how some runners and marathon hopefuls could find this book discouraging, but truthfully, I think it just depends on how you approach reading the book and you ability to take things with a grain of salt. I can also understand how other people just might not "get" the author's sense of humour; it's just not for everyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Nonrunner's Marathon Guide for Women.

01/31/2012