Kristen's Reviews > The Cheshire Cheese Cat: A Dickens of a Tale

The Cheshire Cheese Cat by Carmen Agra Deedy

Jun 15, 2011

bookshelves: e-book, audiobooks, paranormal-fantasy, middlegrade
Read from March 12 to 23, 2012

First Impression: I felt like I won the lottery when I found that Katherine Kellgren was narrating this wonderful looking middle grade novel. I'd been meaning to read this one because of the Dickens reference and finally had the chance to listen to it on audiobook from the library.

While Reading: I just love Kellgren's narration. The story is a fun one, about an alley cat who does not actually like to eat mice, but cheese instead. So when he is given the opportunity to earn his keep at the famous Cheshire Cheese Inn, he fakes his way into seeming like he is catching mice. In actuality, he has made a deal with them to not eat them, in return for some cheese.

But, there is more going on than just that. A raven is staying at the Inn as well, and he has a story that will change the lives of all that meet him. And there is Charles Dickens, who is the other narrator of this story. He is trying to find a first line for his latest book when he finds himself intrigued by Skilley, a cat who is more than what he seems to be.

Verdict: I just loved how this story was inter-weaved into a few different tales and how it all comes crashing down at the end in a scene that is unforgettable. Definitely a story I will not be forgetting soon.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cheshire Cheese Cat.

03/12/2012 "Oh Kathryn Kellgren, can't you narrate all audiobooks?"