Zuky the BookBum's Reviews > The Doll Funeral

The Doll Funeral by Kate Hamer

bookshelves: dnf, 2017

DNF @ 28%

I know it probably seems like I haven't given this book much of a chance, but I'm just not getting into it and I'm not interested enough to keep trying. This is clearly a heart felt novel that's supposed to make you feel something but I'm not in that kind of reading mood.

Hamer's writing it still just as beautiful as it was before. It creates gorgeous imagery but it's a little bit airy fairy in this one. I lost my way with some of the scenes because I couldn't get my head around what she was talking about. It also read a little clunky despite the poetic writing.

It's a damn shame, as I loved Hamer's first novel The Girl in the Red Coat, but that was a lot more mysterious, creepy and went at a much faster pace.

Thanks to Netgalley and Faber & Faber for giving me the opportunity to read this in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Doll Funeral.

September 26, 2016 – Shelved
September 26, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
February 8, 2017 – Started Reading
February 8, 2017 –
Finished Reading
February 9, 2017 –
25.0% "I don't really get what's going on..."
February 9, 2017 – Shelved as: dnf
December 12, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Abigail T Exactly my opinion !

message 2: by Zuky (new) - added it

Zuky the BookBum Glad someone agrees! :-)

Elke I did finish, but agree to your arguments, it was a very, very long read for me and at some point I just wanted it to be over...the basic story was ok, but drowned in way too much overhead.

message 4: by Zuky (new) - added it

Zuky the BookBum Elke wrote: "I did finish, but agree to your arguments, it was a very, very long read for me and at some point I just wanted it to be over...the basic story was ok, but drowned in way too much overhead."

It's a shame because I had high hopes for it, but I'm glad I'm not the only one that couldn't really get on with it