Karen Russell's Reviews > Moonchild

Moonchild by Kate L. Mary

Sep 25, 2016

bookshelves: 2016

A futuristic steampunk?! Who knew?

Just think of a world so far in the future, that it has reverted back to the dark ages of steam and coal. A place where there is only certain technology left, and any other is considered evil. People living on the streets in poverty where any minor violation can land you in the coal mines which could mean certain death! But what captured my attention the most was the word.. "Pirates"! Steampunk, drool worthy Pirates, and a dark dystopic time? YES! Yes! and YES!

This was a heart pounding, thrilling read full of strong, beautiful but broken characters. I am not sure if Mary planned it this way, but when I got to know Scarlett a little, it reminded me of another Scarlett from a time when women were considered fragile...but she was strong, independent and stubborn. I loved this Scarlett from the first page, and even more as she grew. Oh and Asher! Did I not say there were some tasty pirates? Yes, this frustrating yet dashing Asher could save me in an airship any day!! The angst and tension between him and Scarlett was enough to drive me to bang my head against the wall.

The secondary characters were just as entertaining and well developed. I can see so many other stories of these diverse characters progressing in other books to come (well, I hope so anyway)! I look forward to see what becomes of each one of them.

I gave it 4 stars for great writing, exciting story, and characters I couldn't get enough of!

I need more Scarlett and Asher!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moonchild.

Started Reading