Diane Schuller's Reviews > The Wonder

The Wonder by Emma Donoghue

F 50x66
Jan 21, 2017

liked it

Well, not sure about my comments on this one. Read it for book club but it had been on my list anyway.

Not quite as good as I had expected but then again it doesn't fall into my category as a book that I did not care for. That said, I DO have positive things to say about it.

What likely bothered me most was the first half of the book was too long in my opinion. I don't feel it's necessary to flog a dead horse; in other words, readers are intelligent and I don't think half a novel is needed to establish the scenario, the significance of religion and the time period. And since so much time was spent on that, it did annoy me that Lib (the protagonist) seemed to be so closed minded about other 'options' about the situation with Anna and the adults around her.

Very well written. Donoghue did an excellent job of using vocabulary of the period and location. Commendable in that way. The story is unique and well researched. Probably the only other thing I will say is that I don't know that the end should have been concluded quite so efficiently.

All in all, an interesting story line with fine writing. Kudos on the use of vocabulary!

my favourite quotes from the novel, "Like small gods, children formed their miniature worlds out of clay, or even just words. To them, the truth was never simple."

"In childhood, Lib remembered, family seemed as necessary and inescapable as a ring of mountains. One never imagined that as the decades went by, one might drift into an unbounded country. It struck Lib now how alone in the world she was."
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wonder.

September 25, 2016 – Shelved
September 25, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
Started Reading
January 20, 2017 – Finished Reading

Gisela I agree totally with your comments, Diane.

Karen I just finished it and totally concurred. The first half dragged on so slowly, and was so repetitive, that I almost gave up on it. I did like the second half when Lib started to wake up and try to change things.

Diane Schuller Karen wrote: "I just finished it and totally concurred. The first half dragged on so slowly, and was so repetitive, that I almost gave up on it. I did like the second half when Lib started to wake up and try to ..."
Karen, I was at a party 2 weeks ago, and one of the men there read it and said it was the most memorable book he read last year.

D.

Karen It all depends what you like in a story. For sure the author's amazing attention to detail did draw a fully realized picture of the setting and characters. If that kind of detail is what you love in a story, then absolutely it could be a memorable story for you.