MoMo's Reviews > Rather Be the Devil

Rather Be the Devil by Ian Rankin

MoMo’s Book Diary loved Ian Rankin’s “Rather Be The Devil” and highly recommends this as a 5 star read.

I have always been a huge fan of Ian Rankin and his “Rebus” novels so you can imagine my excitement at finding this book available for review on NetGalley. Thank you NetGalley and Orion for approving me to read and review.

The book begins with Rebus, now retired, having dinner with Deborah Quant in the Caledonian Hotel. Being there reminds Rebus of a 40 year old unsolved murder. As expected, the mystery plays on his mind long after the dinner has ended. This fantastically constructed novel includes our favourite characters from previous cases, well known gangland criminals, aging rock stars and money laundering.

The way in which Ian Rankin brings Edinburgh to life, the language used and character progression and makes this such a compelling series. It amazes me that there have been so many Rebus novels, this is number 21, and yet there are still more surprises, twists, turns ahead. I started reading as soon as I downloaded the book and didn’t want to stop until I reached the final page. I hate when I reach the end and know I need to wait so long for the next part!

This review is also published on my blog momobookdiary.com and NetGalley and Amazon.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rather Be the Devil.

September 25, 2016 – Shelved
September 25, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
October 18, 2016 –
50.0% "Just had a Laugh Out Loud moment on a very quiet ferry... I quickly hid behind the seat in front!"
October 19, 2016 – Started Reading
October 19, 2016 –
100.0% "Gripping!"
October 20, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Dena Thanks for the review. Please- remind me of who Deborah Quant is. Thanks!

MoMo Rebus and Quant became an item in book 20. She works in the city morgue so is a valid member of the case as well as a lady friend for the now retired detective.

Dena Maureen wrote: "Rebus and Quant became an item in book 20. She works in the city morgue so is a valid member of the case as well as a lady friend for the now retired detective."

Thanks Maureen! I guess I'm due for a re-read- and it hasn't been all that long.