usagi ☆ミ's Reviews > Go the Fuck to Sleep

Go the Fuck to Sleep by Adam Mansbach

If I ever have children, you can be sure that this is going to be the very first book I have in my bedtime story library. Never have I laughed so hard, and never have I wished more that this book existed when I babysat other kids as a teenager. Yes, it was that awesome. Especially I went and got the audiobook version – Samuel L. Jackson as the narrator? GENIUS. Pure genius.

Okay, seriously. I think we’ve all had to go and babysit for someone at some point in our lives; for family members, for summer jobs, etc., and our charges weren’t very good about going to sleep at night. Right now, this is my little niece – she almost never sleeps. I got this book in audiobook format for my uncle and cousin so they can release some stress (safely) while trying to get her to go to sleep at the same time for Father’s Day this year.

This book is all about that absolutely desperate feeling you get when you just want the child to be unconscious so you can have a little you time, or date time with your significant other, or something similar. You love the child, sure, or you’re fond of them enough to be there reading them a bedtime story (even if it’s a babysitting job). You NEED them to be unconscious for the sake of your sanity.

Some might call this book crude and irreverent, but honestly, it’s nothing like that. At least, that’s how I think of it. This was written by a parent for his children, illustrated by a parent for his children, so it’s not like they’re doing it out of anger at their children. This is for the parents/caretakers more than the children to be sure, but it’s still sweet in that it goes over every single excuse in the book children at bedtime will use to try to get out of it.

The bonus interview with Jackson at the beginning of the audiobook version is helpful, too, because he too relates as an exasperated parent/caretaker with his kids and trying to get them to go to sleep. All of this is done out of love. Desperate, awful love, but love all the same. And you can tell.

So have a good time with this book. It’s obviously not to be taken seriously as a children’s book, otherwise it’d probably be censored by the government or something. Release a little stress and laugh. But not too loud, or your child might wake up, and then you just might have to read them this book after all in desperation to save your nerves.

One of the best of 2011 for the children’s book/humor categories. Loved it, and I can’t wait to own the hardcover! This will definitely go down as one of the classics (like “Where the Wild Things Are”) as subversive bedtime lit. Mark my words.

(crossposted to librarything, goodreads, shelfari, and witchoftheatregoing.wordpress.com)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Go the Fuck to Sleep.