Bethany's Reviews > Keeping Faith

Keeping Faith by Jodi Picoult

Jun 07, 2007

liked it

I loved this book while I was reading it, and I was very disappointed by the ending. It was a fast read, it was engaging, I absolutely didn't want to put it down.

A mother who has just discovered that her husband is cheating on her (several years after another cheating incident lead her to a suicide attempt) finds out that her daughter has an imaginary friend--God...who happens to be a woman. Faith performs some miracles and a media circus rises up around her--reporters camped out on the lawn, etc. Faith's father sues for custoday, and there's some question as to whether the mother might be forcing her daughter to do this for attention.

But they never actually say whether Faith is actually seeing God, or whether she's making it up, or whether her mother planted the idea in her mind somehow. The ending is actually DESIGNED to keep you guessing, which is pretty infuriating. Read at your own risk!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Keeping Faith.

Started Reading
January 1, 2007 – Finished Reading
June 7, 2007 – Shelved

Janelle "But they never actually say whether Faith is actually seeing God, or whether she's making it up, or whether her mother planted the idea in her mind somehow. The ending is actually DESIGNED to keep you guessing, which is pretty infuriating"

This was my same issue. I am glad someone else felt the same way.

Katie I thought it was just me. I had to read that last two pages 3 times and still can't wrap my head around it. Good book but definitely not my favorite ending.

message 3: by Justine (new)

Justine J
I am glad I was not the only one who was lost at the last 2 pages drove me crazy to think I read the whole story and was totally confused as to how the ending ended.

message 4: by Miranda (new) - added it

Miranda I absolutely agree. I had to read the last page 3xs and am still confused. I was hooked and stayed up waaaaaay too late reading this and hated the ending.

Yolani Couldn't agree more with you about the ending

Erika totally agree with all of you. The ending was disappointing