Elizabeth Chang's Reviews > Oedipus Rex

Oedipus Rex by Sophocles

Nov 02, 2016

bookshelves: classics, 2016, reviews, school, 4-stars

Guys! This is the first classic novel I've given 4 stars to!

Celebrate with me!

I finally found a classic novel....that I appreciated!

Ummmmm....

Yes, anyways! Did you know, until I held this book in my hands, I kept calling it Oepedius Rex. Ugh. Well, I don't anymore! Thank goodness for that!

So!

I quite liked this book....(if my enthusiasm didn't give that away already), and I think it's mainly due to the fact that this translation was excellent?

I mean, I understood way more than any other classic novel I've ever read! And I could follow along with the story pretty easily! It was wonderful!

Okay, now.....one thing that....isn't a praise.....I was slightly confused at the beginning. But not because of the language.

Allow me to explain.

I started the book, thinking I'd read about Oedipus getting jealous or being ambitious....and then....killing his father. I thought I'd get to read THAT, but, nooooooo....it isn't! In the play....he already kills his father!

And that....kinda confused me. I thought I was maybe reading book two or something.....

But! That was cleared up......eventually....so it's all good!

Yes, so. This play is messed up.....I mean....a son killing his father...and....MARRYING his mother?! So very, very messed up.

Agree with me, peoples!

But, this play is....very nicely translated.

Agree with me again, peoples! Even if you haven't read it, because this book is great!

Woo!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oedipus Rex.

September 24, 2016 – Shelved