Levi's Reviews > Showcase Presents: Justice League of America, Vol. 1

Showcase Presents by Gardner F. Fox

Dec 03, 2016

This was my first taste of Silver Age comics, I having only previously read as far back as the Bronze Age story "Superman: Kryptonite Nevermore!" It's definitely a change from modern comics, what with all the heroes speaking with perfect grammar and long-winded exposition accompanying every other panel.

But reading this made me remember that in the old days, comics were written for kids, plain and simple. I imagine how your average ten-year-old boy might get a kick out of seeing all these colorful heroes and villains cavort about on the pulpy magazine pages. I actually caught myself laughing at some of the cornball dialogue and over-the-top visuals.

But as I slogged through this phone book-thick digest, I realized that if a kid is going to read something, this is a pretty good thing to have them read. Us jaded adults might find it a tad dull, but a kid is going to see well-mannered heroes fighting wacky crooks while learning how to read in a fun way.

They'll pick up all sorts of unique vocabulary words, such as "experimental" and "gladiator." It will also turn on those little tykes' imaginations, getting them to think outside-the-box and develop creativity. Plus, it will be just darn fun.

So if you're thinking of a fun Christmas present for your kids, consider a bona fide comic book classic. Maybe they'll even let you borrow it! If they watch any of the animated TV shows, such as "Young Justice", they'll get a good idea of where it all came from.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Showcase Presents.

September 24, 2016 – Started Reading