Mauri's Reviews > A Gathering of Lace

Jun 07, 2007

liked it
bookshelves: knitting, non-fiction
Read in June, 2006

An excellent resource...for intermediate to experienced lace knitters. The beginner patterns are few and far-between and, in my opinion, boring. However, I have the feeling that they are intended to be like most other beginnings, there just to give you a sense of how things go and to get experience.

And to judge from the intermediate-experienced-adventurous patterns, it would be well worth your time. They are all complex and beautiful, but I doubt they would look very nice unless one had a good amount of experience.

I got this book out of the library as a test drive towards the aim of buying my own copy. The problem with knitting books if that you often have to own them for them to be any use (and they are often expensive as well). I think I will try one of the easy patterns and see how it goes. The more advanced patterns are well worth the price, but not if I can't even begin.

All of this will be down in worsted or sport, rather than laceweight, as it is difficult to find cheap lacweight. This is another problem I have wih the simpler problems. Who wants to spend 20 dollars a skein for boring, simple patterns or practice?
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Gathering of Lace.