Ad Astra's Reviews > The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry

The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson

Jun 14, 2011

I really enjoyed this book. Not really with a point in the end, I mean it does have a nice thought and conclusion that led well into it, but it was more about having an adventure and the ending fell into a sort of nice afterthought theory feeling. I think I've been reading a lot of academic critical essays, so I expect non-fiction to be a big build up, support, and conclusion. But this book was fascinating as equally fun and entertaining. My family has a lot of background in disorders, and the question of what makes a psychopath are qualities some of my family possess. This fine line between labels and reality of the situation is explored in much the same questioning manner I've held for myself. I really got interested in the book actually when I saw an interview with the author on The Colbert Report, and was so entertained I was actually sad when the interview ended. His trains of thought are fun to follow, and I like the way Ronson gives flow to his story, which is really just a collection of loosely tied interviews. Good stuff, I also liked that he spoke with both multiple sides of the psychiatric industry. Patients, doctors, 'normal' people and those affected by them. Also extremely easy to read, for some heavy material this subject broached, the tone is very playful, mostly accomplished by Ronson himself giving a kick to his psyche every now and then.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Psychopath Test.

June 14, 2011 – Started Reading