Emily's Reviews > Real Mermaids Don’t Wear Toe Rings

Real Mermaids Don’t Wear Toe Rings by Helene Boudreau

Jun 14, 2011

Read 2 times. Last read June 14, 2011 to June 16, 2011.

Omfg I loved this, didn't want to take my earbuds out. It was such a stupid premise - girl falls asleep in bathtub, wakes up with mermaid tail? REALLY? That's just idiotic. But really, this was a book about a girl going through a lot of physical changes (and no, I don't mean just the tail) with no mother to help her, and a best friend who she's lied to about said changes... therefore, a girl who feels like she's totally alone in the world and can't talk to anyone about her problems except her dorky dad, and HE'S only in the loop because he saw her standing, confused, in the tampon aisle trying to decide what to get before the napkins stuffed in her underwear stopped working. And if the mermaid tail transformation (and subsequent sobbing fit & re-humanization) weren't enough, one day Jade sees her mother in the lake... Mom is alive! Surprise! She didn't drown... evil criminal mermaids wanting Mom's secret about turning human dragged her under in order to get the secret from her and become human themselves, in order to escape from their freshwater lake prison. So, of course, alone and sometimes mermaid-y, Jade has to go save Mom and bring her back to the human world. Dad's in the loop, of course, since he busted down the bathroom door during The Bath after hearing Jade's ear-piercing "holy crap, I have a mermaid tail!" scream. This book was so much more than the silly mermaid story; I loved Jade as a budding teenage girl, a pudgy klutz who doesn't see how her crush could ever like her (reminds me of Mia from the Princess Diaries in a lot of ways). I loved her best friend, Corey (Cori? I listened to this on audio.), who never shook from her place at Jade's side, despite treatment by Jade during the whole fish-tail fiasco. Loved Dad, loved the humor, wit... I was extremely pleasantly surprised at the quality of this book, and I will be recommending it *often.*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Real Mermaids Don’t Wear Toe Rings.

June 14, 2011 – Started Reading
June 14, 2011 – Shelved
June 14, 2011 –
20.0% "Left off at track 11, disc 1."
June 15, 2011 –
June 15, 2011 –
50.0% "i do not know why i like this book so much"
June 16, 2011 – Finished Reading
August 24, 2011 – Shelved (ebook Edition)
Started Reading (ebook Edition)
December 31, 2011 – Finished Reading (ebook Edition)