Jessie's Reviews > Heart of Iron

Heart of Iron by Ashley Poston

bookshelves: ace-spectrum, for-casey

More happened here than I expected! The place I thought this book would get to happened between the 50 and 70 percent marks.

I love the aspects of this book that think about family and home. Ana's family is the crew she remembers growing up with; her home is the Dossier. And Jax and Robb make choices about who they consider family and what is home at various points in the past/present (within the book timeline). It's strongly implied that Captain Siege has been through some similar choices.

There are a lot of competing loyalties and desires here, and so even knowing a basic direction of the story (from knowing that it was a retelling), the plot was still exciting to me.

E0S is the best bot, and I did not expect to be so enamored of a little cube. Captain Siege is wonderful, as is her color-changing hair.

Ana is the ace-spec character , though it's not discussed on page. Not just not labeled, really not discussed, and it would be easy to miss. (It would also be easy to read her as demiro in addition to ace-spec, but there's no Word of God on her romantic orientation that I remember seeing.) We see Ana feel romantic attraction to one person, her best friend, and there's no mention of sexual attraction. (view spoiler) Ana seems comfortable with kissing, cuddling, hair-braiding, etc.

I feel like I should say something about Ana/Di and the extent to which Di is or is not human and how romantic attraction is tied up in that question. (view spoiler) Still trying to sort through my thoughts, though, so those are maybe to come.

Jax doesn't want to be touched (and that is mostly respected in the book). He's not touch-averse, though; there are other circumstances.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heart of Iron.

September 22, 2016 – Shelved