SmartBitches's Reviews > The SEAL's Rebel Librarian

The SEAL's Rebel Librarian by Anne Calhoun

43581981

bookshelves: b-grade, contemporary-romance, novella

Full review at Smart Bitches, Trashy Books

During a recent podcast with Molly O’Keefe, I learned about this novella, and really, who can resist the bundle of title temptation that is The SEAL’s Rebel Librarian? Not me, that’s for sure.

I really liked this story. Alas, it suffered from one of the major hurdles of novella-ing in romance: the hero and heroine didn’t know each other prior to the start of the story. That’s a lot of progress to make in a short time frame, and in my experience, the novellas that work best for me as a reader are those where the main characters knew each other before the start of the story. Maybe they were childhood friends or went to the same school, or they were loosely connected via siblings or circles of acquaintance — whatever. The prior history allows the current developments to rest on some sort of foundation.

When the main characters don’t know each other at the start, there’s a lot of getting-to-know-you that both the characters and the readers have to do and like I said, there’s not a lot of pages to get that done. In this case, I think the progress from “hey, that person is kinda hot” to “we should totally be a THING, right? Obviously,” was about 85% effective.

The ending felt rushed to me, cramming too much into too little space. I wanted more – which is part of the danger of a novella. Sometimes, it’s not quite enough, as was the case here. I wanted more of Jack, more of Erin, more of what happened next.

Ending aside, I really enjoyed reading this novella, and recommend it for fans of hotter contemporary romance. Erin and Jack don’t get into anything that defies gravity (the only thing they do while skydiving is jump out of a plane – sorry) or seemed outlandish, but the degree to which Erin was breaking out of her own limitations made the sex scenes with Jack that much hotter.

And really, I haven’t met many people who can resist that title. The story inside comes very, very close to living up to the promise of it.

- SB Sarah

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The SEAL's Rebel Librarian.

Started Reading