Mick Kelly's Reviews > Daughter of Fortune

Daughter of Fortune by Isabel Allende

This was one of those books that I never want to end. It follows the fortunes of Eliza, a foundling brought up by Rose Sommers and her brother John in the Chilean port of Valparaiso and then in California during the days of the gold rush. The main characters are drawn so completely that the book is more like a collection of short stories, each being the biography of the character - Rose, Eliza's adoptive mother, Jacob, Rose's seafaring brother, Tao Chien the Chinese ships cook and many more besides.
This is the first book I have read by Isabel Allende. Previously I was put off by the 'magical realism' school with which she is associated, but this book contains nothing of that sort - it's a straightforward historical story with a coherent plot and wonderful characters that I was sorry to leave behind.
Definitely left me wanting more. I know there is no sequel, so maybe I'll be brave and try her 'magical realism' novels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daughter of Fortune.

Started Reading