ctdak's Reviews > Set In Stone

Set In Stone by Robert Goddard

M 50x66

bookshelves: amateur-sleuth

Just one more of many suspense-filled mysteries from a master story teller. When I first discovered Robert Goddard I was warned by a bookstore clerk that even Goddard fans didn’t like Set In Stone, although she didn’t exactly say why. Thus I saved it until last, reading all of his others first, only to find that this one is one of his best!

It seems that some dislike the “supernatural” element of this story, or consider it out of character for this author. The latter may be true as he hasn’t written another one quite like it, but as to the former all I can say is that this is fiction after all. I found the “haunted house” aspect of the story reminded me in some ways of a Hitchcock story, and in no way did it detract from the story as a whole.

Perhaps more than Goddard’s other stories, this one and “Caught in the Light” make the reader want to get involved as one of the characters, in order to help straighten things out due to people being misrepresented and misunderstood! Only a good author can do that.

Neither did I find there to be any significant loose ends at story’s end as some have suggested. The story got wrapped up rather nicely I thought. So, especially if you already like Goddard’s writing style (a master of twists and turns), then don’t delay to read this one like I did. It’s really very good, if not always realistic!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Set In Stone.

September 4, 2006 – Started Reading