Pallavi Sareen's Reviews > Bad Mommy

Bad Mommy by Tarryn Fisher

I wondered if someone who had fire in their soul would have smoke coming out of their mouth.

Tarryn Fisher does it again. Another crazy story with psychopath, sociopath and a writer (*silent laugh). Since I dove into this book without knowing what it was about, I was pleasantly surprised by all the twists and turns. The book is told from 3 POV's.
Starts with our crazy stalker girl Fig. You know she's crazy with the way she talks and is so convinced with her own lies. Paranoid Personality Disorder.
Then there's the psychiatrist, who is even more messed up. (I refuse to say more about this lest it be a spoiler)
In the end, our very own Jolene whose character is basically based on Tarryn, the people who know about her would recognise it.
When the book started, with Fig being obsessed with a kid (not sexually), I sort of guessed what kind of book it was going to be. I was so wrong because, with all the things that happen, you forget about the kid for the most part. There are these elements to this book that mess with your head. Three unreliable narrators, you don't know who to trust.
The writing style makes it all so realistic that it has turned me paranoid(If I ever see anyone wearing something identical to mine, I'm gonna run as fast as I can paranoid). The reason I love Tarryn's writing is that she invokes raw, unforgiving emotions in me by giving me characters that are effed up (lying in the gray areas of right and wrong). And I enjoy it. Because even with all the ruination, and morally degrading prose, it's poetic. If I'm not making any sense, Tarryn's fault. Her books do this to me.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bad Mommy.

September 21, 2016 – Shelved