Madlenka's Reviews > Clockwork Princess

Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare

** spoiler alert ** This book WRECKED me.

I knew a lot of people love this book and think it's the best one in The Infernal Devices series. I liked Clockwork Angel, I liked Clockwork Prince more (especially the second half) and became really invested in the story. But I still didn't LOVE the story enough and I thought Clockwork Princess would end in the 4-star area, without really touching my heart.

The whole time I was reading it, I felt torn between loving the development of the Mortmain part of the story and Cassandra Clare's fast-paced writing, and despising the characters and their decisions. In the first 1/3 of the story so many things happened they could make up a whole book. And more, much more followed. On the other hand, I had some serious problems with the main (three-sided) romance. I loved Jem from the first book and I hated how obvious it was that Tessa was going to end up with Will. Jem was removed from the picture way sooner than I thought though and when Tessa and Will SLEPT together 2 days after he (supposedly) died, I was furious & disgusted. I couldn't believe what I was reading and it wasn't an excuse that they thought they were going to die. At that moment I thought Clockwork Princess wouldn't even qualify for 3 stars.

But then Chapter 23 came. Oh my gosh. I still feel like sobbing when I think about it. And did I cry. It was then when I realised how much the characters have actually grown on me. How terrified I was to turn the page because I was getting closer and closer to the end. However, I continued turning pages until there were no more chapters... Only the Epilogue. I cried before, but I couldn't control myself at all reading the last bit of the book. I LOVED the ending. Even though I wasn't really into the whole "I-love-Jem-but-I-love-Will-too" that Tessa had going on the whole time. Cassandra Clare wrapped it up in a way I just couldn't say no to. And I still can't stop thinking about it.

Some parts of Clockwork Princess definitely don't deserve 5 stars in my opinion. But when I look at the entire story from a distance and remember all the feelings it's still giving to me, 5 stars it is.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clockwork Princess.

September 21, 2016 – Started Reading