Lilly (Lair Of Books)'s Reviews > They Both Die at the End

They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera

***5 STARS***

PLOT

As some of you may have already noticed, the Goodreads synopsis for They Both Die at the End is pretty short compared to most. I personally found this raised my curiosity as a whole towards this book. I also was aware that this would be Silvera's first YA Sci-Fi and being a fan of his first two contemporary books, I thought to myself...can he pull it off? now I know I should've never questioned his ability to deliver! One thing remains constant after I finish one of his books...I keep saying "This one is my favorite" smh, the truth is I love them all and he keeps evolving as a writer which makes him my #1 YA author ;)

They Both Die at the End takes place in the span of a day in present day NYC. Although it is present day, Silvera added the Sci-Fi element by introducing Death-Cast calls. This call typically comes in at or around 12am informing you that today will be your last day. We start off with our main protagonist Mateo receiving the much dreaded call that will change the course of his life in just 1 day. From this point on we follow Mateo as decides to reclaim his life & step outside of his comfort zone...his bedroom. See, before the call Mateo took NO risks & lived his life in fear of so many things. We follow Mateo from the moment he decides to step foot outside his home to make one last connection with a "Last Friend" which is how we meet Rufus. Having also received the call, Rufus is pretty much set on going out with a bang. He is the ying to Mateo's yang & their paths crossing almost feels like Life's last gift to these two characters.

We also follows a series of side characters throughout the same day. Some have received the Death-Call while others have not, however each forms a piece to the puzzle that is Mateo & Rufus' story. The only certainty is death, how you meet your fate is unknown to you. This is a story about living life to its fullest, hope, friendship, being true to yourself, love, grief, loss, and so much more!

CHARACTERS

One of the reasons i’m a fan of Silveras books are the characters he creates, they have a tendency to linger past the last sentence. This time wasn’t any different and I now have a full cast of characters to love & think about even now that I have finished this book…

Mateo- Our MC has pretty much lived a very low key life opting to stay indoors & browse the online Death-Cast forums. He follows others who have received the call & are documenting their last day online. His mother passed away & his dad is in a coma, he is very much on his own. As much as Mateo fears going out & just living his life, the idea of letting go & being free of all worry has always intrigued him. His best friend Lidia and her daughter (his Godchild), are the only people he really connects with.

Rufus- Complete opposite of Mateo, life hasn’t been easy on Rufus either. Always labeled as a bit of a trouble maker, things didn’t look good when he suddenly sees himself on his own in life with no family. Rough around the edges, Rufus is a character you can’t help but love. He is openly Bi-sexual and confident in who he is which makes for an interesting meet-up with Mateo who hasn’t quite figured out how to be his true self. Rufus also has a support system, he and 3 others make up The Plutos who I LOVED to pieces! #friendshipgoals

Friendship is always a strong theme in all of Silveras books & here we get introduced to characters from all walks of life. The way these lives come together delivered such a strong message, one that left me thinking of my own life path & those that matter to me most.

WRITING & FINAL THOUGHTS

They Both Die at the End rocked me out of my comfort zone in the 48 hours it took for me to read it. It took me forever & a day to start living my life for ME, allowing myself to be as I am. I can’t imagine what it would feel like to come to this realization on the day I know will be my last. I’d probably also find myself in a mad dash to do it all with the fear hovering over my shoulder that anything could kill me. I was Mateo. I’m trying to find my inner Rufus lol. The thirst for life these characters feel on their final day is utterly contagious! it makes you want to get up & go outside eyes wide open to all the things beating with life around you. This is a book about LIFE if you’re willing to look past the title. There’s always a silver lining to Adam Silvera’s books, your heart will be broken by the end but you may also find yourself with a new perspective ;)

*HUGE Thanks to HarperTeen, Edelweiss, & Adam Silvera for the eGalley of They Both Die at the End in exchange for an honest review

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read They Both Die at the End.

September 21, 2016 – Shelved
August 26, 2017 – Shelved as: highly-anticipating-2017-new-releas
August 26, 2017 – Shelved as: ya-sci-fi
August 26, 2017 – Shelved as: ya-ya-ya
August 29, 2017 –
15.0% "& so I begin my journey to heartbreak, I already love these characters *sobs* #amreading #bookblogger"
August 30, 2017 –
August 31, 2017 –
60.0% "Finishing this today, I NEED TO KNOW HOW IT ENDS! *sobs* #amreading #bookblogger"
August 31, 2017 –
75.0% "Stressed the eff out! #amreading #bookworm #bookblogger"
August 31, 2017 –
85.0% "Knot in my throat smh...#amreading #bookblogger #bookworm"
September 1, 2017 – Finished Reading