Ellyn → Allonsythornraxx's Reviews > The Magician's Nephew

The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis

29281984

liked it
Read 2 times. Last read December 4, 2019.

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe | 3 ⭐

04/12/2019
3 ⭐
I read this a few years ago and was less than impressed but I honestly forgot that I'd ever read this and I recently felt the need to watch the movies (which I still haven't done) so I decided to try reading this until I watch the movies. I won't lie, I know absolutely nothing about this world but, I did enjoy this. I won't say it was amazing, but I'm certainly interested in continuing this series. Honestly, this book might have just pulled me out of my reading slump.
rtc

21/09/2016
2 ⭐
Unfortunately, I just didn't enjoy this. I tried to read this a few years ago but put it down and then ended up giving my copy away. Everyone seems to love this series so even though I didn't care for this one I will probably pick up the next ones over time.

Find my other reviews on my blog

Trigger Warnings: illness

3 ⭐

Okay, so full disclaimer, I would just like to say that I know next to nothing about Narnia except for James McAvoy is in it and there’s a wardrobe and the wardrobe only turned up in the story in the last page so I feel slightly lied to, to be honest. So, reading this I really had no expectations and was just reading to enjoy a children’s story with some portal fantasy elements.

I don’t have too many thoughts on this instalment in the series but I wanted to talk about it anyway, so bare for me for a minute. I went into this with literally no idea about Narnia or the characters but I was a little surprised at first at this being a prequel. I shouldn’t have been, I should’ve done at least the bare minimum amount of research and found out that the main group pf characters don’t arrive until the next book and that this is just an explanation/origin story of how the wardrobe came to be.

I’ll be honest, the high-key Christianity ties were pretty obvious like I quickly got the vibe that the lion is God etc etc. but apart from that this was actually pretty interesting, enough that I immediately read book 2 after finishing this.

I actually think I might continue the series later in the year or when I next feel the need to read really short books. This didn’t dissuade me from wanting to read the other books and I think this was a good length. I think if it had been much longer I probably wouldn’t have enjoyed it as much. And I hope the other books continue on the same size trend. I really like the idea of just being able to read these books over a day or two and then being able to move on. This is probably why they make such popular movies.

All in all, I will definitely continue this series and I really enjoyed how short it is and the bbc audiobook because it was a full cast and made the experience so much better! I have never been interested in Narnia before but now I kind of want to go and watch the movies because I’ve heard the first two are pretty good!

Trigger Warnings: illness

Blog | Letterboxd | Instagram | Tumblr | Twitter

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magician's Nephew.

September 21, 2016 – Started Reading
September 21, 2016 – Shelved
September 21, 2016 – Finished Reading
August 10, 2019 – Shelved as: series-tbr
December 3, 2019 –
page 50
22.62% "I am definitely the last one to the party with this one and I have no idea what's happening but it's not as bad as I thought it would be, so that's nice.
Also, is the lion supposed to be God??? I'm getting Christianity vibes"
December 4, 2019 – Started Reading
December 4, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Mairenn (new)

Mairenn Narnia! I haven't read this one though. I followed the movie sequence when I read this series.

Ellyn   → Allonsythornraxx Mairenn wrote: "Narnia! I haven't read this one though. I followed the movie sequence when I read this series."

I did enjoy this and it's probably more fun if you've read the other books!