emma's Reviews > Three Dark Crowns

Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake

liked it
bookshelves: owned, reviewed, gorgeous-covers, 3-stars, fantasy, ya

3.25/5. but a FUN 3.25!!

This book was far from perfect, but hell if it wasn’t a good time. And after two not so fun reads, I needed it!

Did I like any of the characters? Uh, not totally. In fact, I hated a bunch of them. (I would physically fight Mirabella and Joseph if I was ever given the chance, and I would like roughly 50% of the characters to line up so I can efficiently slap each of them across the face.) Most of them were super flat--I’d say all of them except Arsinoe, Jules and maybe Pietyr. (That’s pretty insane because there are roughly 200 characters in this book.)

The three queens are not my ideal. I was hoping for a little more badassery in all honesty. Mirabella is an emotional idiot (who became best friends with some rando in a day, which reminded me SO MUCH of my Justin Bieber fanfiction-reading days. Except instead of like, Selena Gomez or Demi Lovato, Mira’s bestie is a shockingly flat priestess). Katharine starts out the same way, and Arsinoe is just kind of...eh. Maybe they'll bond in the next book over their mutual terribleness.

The world building was a little rough, too. This is one of those books that’ll give you a furrowed brow for the first chunk. The whole thing was surprisingly low fantasy for how confusing it was. Props to Blake for not info-dumping, but the weaving in of background was a little slow for my tastes. Also, there are like a bajillion names in this? The map is, though pretty, very confusing, and the time I spent figuring out who Ellis was gave me a headache. And maybe I’m a nerd, but I also just want a history lesson on this world. That’s such a fun part of fantasy books!

Even though this book had a LOT of problems (and didn’t really make it to a lot of the fun stuff they spent the whole time talking about?) it was still pretty fun. So I don’t want to give it a low rating.

I’d be giving this book 3 stars if not for the literal last sentence. It filled me with hope for more bad bitches, gave me a halfhearted belief that maybe (MAYBE) I’ll actually like a certain character next time around, and made me wanna pick up the next book. So it’s not over, folks.

Bottom line: yeah, read this! It’s just a little silly and a little fun, and I’m looking forward to the rest of the books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Three Dark Crowns.

September 20, 2016 – Shelved
October 23, 2016 – Started Reading
October 24, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

message 1: by Aneela (new) - added it

Aneela ♒the_mystique_reader♒ Interesting review. I have been hearing a lot about this book.

emma Anny wrote: "Interesting review. I have been hearing a lot about this book."

thanks! yeah, owlcrate books always get a lot of attention :)

message 3: by Flor (new)

Flor I'm currently reading it.

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle liked for the colbert gif :D

emma Michelle wrote: "liked for the colbert gif :D"

ha! god, i miss the colbert report.

emma Ana {The Good Gif Fairy} wrote: "Great review Emma :)"

thank you! <3

Jessica-❥Chatterbooks Book Blog❥ Fantastic review, Emma! :)

emma Jessica wrote: "Fantastic review, Emma! :)"

thanks, jessica! <3

emma Flor wrote: "I'm currently reading it."

hope it's a fun read for you, too!

Marnie Cannon THANK YOU! Give me five minutes in a room with Joseph and Mirabella and they'll get over this stupid excuse of angst that they have for one another REAL FAST.

message 11: by emma (new) - rated it 3 stars

emma Marnie wrote: "THANK YOU! Give me five minutes in a room with Joseph and Mirabella and they'll get over this stupid excuse of angst that they have for one another REAL FAST."

oh my god they drive me crazy. i hate them both so much and would like to physically fight them. i'm thrilled someone agrees

Vaish I literally just finished this book, and I agree so much!!! While I was reading it, I was the tiniest bit excited every time it got to Arsinoe's POV. She was the only character I liked in this book, and even she was a little boring sometimes (unlike, say, Hermione, who was a very active character).

message 13: by emma (new) - rated it 3 stars

emma Vaishnave wrote: "I literally just finished this book, and I agree so much!!! While I was reading it, I was the tiniest bit excited every time it got to Arsinoe's POV. She was the only character I liked in this book..."

the most interesting part about this book is it seems like everyone has such varied opinions on the sisters! i know some people hated arsinoe, but i thought she was just eh. meanwhile some people adored mira and i COULD NOT STAND HER. idk. i'll read the next book in the series but my hopes aren't that high