zelle (fragilemyths)'s Reviews > Three Dark Crowns

Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake

19862820

did not like it
bookshelves: books-i-own, young-adult, fantasy

I'm sorry. I just couldn't. The alternating third-person perspectives were too jarring to read and I felt really disconnected from the whole story. Each of the queens sounded like the same person to me, and there are so many secondary characters thrown in all at once, which was (initially) confusing and hard to keep track of.

The dialogue felt stiff and too formal, and the characters just lacked personality. There was no strength, no sass, no action, no slow burn romance. All I got out of it was insta-love and pages of boring nothing-ness.

I had to literally FORCE myself to finish this. Which is saying a lot because I have never DNF'ed a book. The only reason why I kept going was because I was promised a spectacular plot twist on the very last page. So I held out...and I was disappointed. It was predictable, for me at least.

Honestly, I think that maybe this should have been a prequel rather than the first book in Kendare Blake's new series. Three Dark Crowns was 80% spent on describing the queens and their individual training, weak love interests, and twisted relationships with the people around them.

I was so excited to read this because of the wickedly nasty premise that promised so much. I expected to see a lot of action and start rooting for one of the queens. But instead, I feel emotionally unattached to the story and its characters. I feel nothing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Three Dark Crowns.

September 20, 2016 – Shelved
September 20, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
September 20, 2016 – Shelved as: books-i-own
November 23, 2016 – Started Reading
November 24, 2016 – Shelved as: young-adult
November 24, 2016 – Shelved as: fantasy
November 29, 2016 –
page 46
11.06% "It's so painfully...slow. This book has such a nasty (in a good way) premise, but I'm not feeling it!! The dialogue feels so stiff and unnatural, ugh."
December 5, 2016 –
page 172
41.35% "Is this going to be my first DNF?! holy hell, I'm going to positively keel over and die from the eternal nothingness that is the plot. Everything is so damn passive and nothing has happened! I'm struggling so much to get through this, Katharine please poison me and let's get this done and over with."
December 5, 2016 –
page 283
68.03% "THE ONLY REASON WHY I KEEP READING THIS IS BECAUSE OF THE PROMISED, WICKED PLOT TWIST WAITING ON THE LAST PAGE\n\nIT BETTER BE ONE HELL OF A TWIST"
December 6, 2016 – Finished Reading