Lauren's Reviews > Racing Savannah

Racing Savannah by Miranda Kenneally

it was ok

Despite coming out of the gate strong, Racing Savannah falters after the first straight away and ends up at the back of the pack by the time it crosses the finish line.

Apologies for the belabored metaphor, but come on, it’s a book about horse racing! It practically invites starting a review with an obnoxious comparison.

So. Savannah’s grown up around horses, and when her Dad, a groom, gets a job at a prestigious farm in Tennessee, she tries out to be one of the practice riders for the stable. Naturally, the family that runs to farm has a cute son exactly Savannah’s age (who, conveniently enough, goes to the local public school rather than private).

I’ll admit it: I was totally digging the economically star-crossed lovers vibe.

But then there’s the rest of the book, which seemed written in such a way as to hit as many of my literary pet peeves as possible. This includes:
* Information pointlessly withheld in the name of ‘suspense.’
* Characters who are wildly inconsistent depending on what is needed in any given scene.
* A main character who is pointlessly stupid at times, undercutting the whole ‘precocious savant’ thing.
* Mind-numbingly stupid adults
* Teenagers who are all fully-formed adults in no need of education (teenagers reading this book: as a former know-it-all teenager, let me promise you that smart as you are, you do not know everything, you do need education, and the adults who make sure you get to be a teenager while teaching you that you don’t know everything are the adults who truly love you and want what’s best for you, even if they do seem like total jerks at the moment)
*Some dude bent on sexual assault as an cringe-inducing plot device to draw our two lovers together (Why is this romantic? Please someone explain this to me, because I don’t find it romantic at all. It makes me angry)

Racing Savannah has a ton of promise, but reading it, I remembered why it’s been a while since I last picked up one of Ms. Kenneally’s books: she has great concepts that get lost amid overwrought romances. Not recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Racing Savannah.

June 20, 2016 – Started Reading