Leah (White Sky Project)'s Reviews > Sword of Shadows

Sword of Shadows by Karin Rita Gastreich

bookshelves: reviews

Compelling fantasy with a great story and fascinating, complex characters

I really enjoyed The Sword of Shadows. This book is compelling, has a great plot and amazing world building, and really fascinating and complex characters. I like that there's always something interesting going on in each chapter. I haven’t read the first book but it wasn’t too much of a disadvantage because I could glean some of what happened in the first book from the scenes and dialogue. This book is also on the darker side of fantasy and deals with adult themes, violence and death, so it’s definitely not for the kiddies or for those who prefer not to have any of that in their fantasy reads.

The characters are interesting. Most, if not all, the characters have some sort of greatness within them and have their own flaws as well. Even the antagonists are engaging. I love that this trilogy has intriguing women playing significant roles on both sides of the story.

The world building is also pretty cool. Karin Rita Gastreich is an amazing writer and I admire her imagination and her talent for creating a fascinating world with different histories and cultures. I would have loved to know more about the magic system in this world, but that’s just me.

Overall, this book is worth reading. If you’re a fan of dark and epic fantasies, you’ll probably enjoy it like I did.

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sword of Shadows.

September 10, 2016 – Started Reading