Deborah Sloan's Reviews > Before Versailles: A Novel of Louis XIV

Before Versailles by Karleen Koen

Jun 13, 2011

Capturing the court of King Louis XIV in it's entirety is no easy task, but Karleen Koen and Crown Press Publishers have done just that including all the court intrigues whispered about for centuries in just 4 short months of his reign as a young King. Before the greatness of Versailles was established. What could inspire this King and his court to such building extremes and opulence. A young king just beginning to find himself, to understand power and the responsibility his position requires.

With a Queen mother, a Queen wife, a Prince brother and his wife, courtesans, musketeers, a powerful Viscount collecting everyone's secrets and due favors for his own purposes, a young boy secreted away in a mask and hidden from him for years; it's enough to make a young king seek solace where he can find it. Solace comes when the king finds a love of innocence without the need of requiring favors as all others in his court asked of him.

Of course every Monarchy has it's hidden secrets among those in court, but finding the person who is sending King Louis vile threatening notes is foremost in his mind. Who of all those that surround him can a king truly trust? As an avid reader and one who loves history I found reading Before Versailles by Karleen Koen a virtual imagery come to mind while reading each detail. I could picture the countryside as full of light and life as if I were there, and the opulence of fabrics detailed as if I could reach out and touch them. Still it's the passions of the people of France that I am most drawn to understand. I highly recommend reading Before Versailles by Karleen Koen at your first opportunity. Available June 28, 2011 at a bookstore near you or online.

Review Copy provided for review purposes. All opinions are those of Baba's Farm Life.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Before Versailles.