pinkgal's Reviews > The Girl She Used to Be

Jun 13, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: her-voice, fiction-and-um-stuff
Read in June, 2011

Ennui and sympathy only work so far here. It's hard not to like the book, but essentially, I felt like this was a romance novel disguised as a serious look at the life of a person in the Witness Protection Program. I never felt the urgency, I never really got into the title character, and I certainly had no strong feelings about the plot... or lack thereof.

That all being said... well. I did enjoy it - the girl is such an idiot, that you can't help but like her (especially the fact that she doesn't really realize that she's an idiot) or at least, want to prod her along into what is apparently the Greatest Romance Ever with, yep, the son of the family that killed hers. If that's not the basic plotline of about a thousand and one Harlequin romance novels, I don't know what is. Very Romeo and Juliet, except that there's not enough violence to satisfy my bloodthirsty urges.

But I'm being too hard; this book is one of those stories that have a great beginning, and middling middle, and a poignant ending. If it wasn't for that ending, I probably would have given this two stars. I'm a sucker for poignant endings that hint at a big, wide future, so this delivered rather perfectly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl She Used to Be.