Sev3nty's Reviews > Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side

Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey

Jun 13, 2011

I chose this book because the author is relatively local, and I saw her speak at the last Pennsylvania Library Association conference. She was really cute, and very bubbly, and passionate about her books. It was really interesting to hear about the author's perspective with writing. One thing that struck me was that she wrote this book before any of the Twilight series came out, and they started to become a huge hit while she was in the prepublishing stages. Weird coincidence, and a nice popularity boost for her!

When reading the book, I was surprised about some of the gender roles it discussed. While the main character was a strong and independent woman, she was also a realistic female character, with all the body issues and hormonal changes that includes. The Chivalrous Lucious, while sometimes being an absolute jerk, was also good at pointing out the opposites of extreme feminism in a way that made it more of a compliment to the girl rather than a way to put her beneath him. Additionally, the main character comes to LIKE her weight gain, rather than finding some way to lose it again and feel beautiful.

All in all, I was sort of impressed with this little brain-candy YA book. It was more fun, and a little deeper, than I thought it would be. I would definitely read more of Beth Fantaskey's work. Go, local authors!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side.