Christine~justlovemybooks.com blog~'s Reviews > Behind Closed Doors

Behind Closed Doors by Lisa Renee Jones

bookshelves: arcs

"Behind Closed Doors" Careless Whispers 2.5 by author Lisa Renee Jones.
My Rating is 4 Stars!

**I was given and ARC from the author via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review**

"Behind Closed Doors" is an addition the the Careless Whisper Series. However this novel is a standalone with an HEA and you do not need to read the prior books in this series to enjoy it. I am actually proof of that because I have yet to read them. And I do stress yet. The heroine from the first two books and an upcoming release, Ella, makes several appearances adding intrigue in this story and some clues to her own story. And I will say no more.

This story features Skye and Jason. Skye, a recent transplant to San Francisco finds herself at a storage unit auction with her new friend Ella. Ella is trying to help Skye earn extra money to expedite her dreams of law school. Skye has some darkness in her past that unfortunately effects her current life. She does not trust easily. Especially men. But Skye finds more than assets in the unit. It puts her in the path of a mysterious man who she does not trust.

Jason Wise, AKA "Red Bull" on the professional poker playing circuit, finds himself having to convince Skye that he is trustworthy. The ironic part is he isn't sure whether or not he trusts her. But he needs her trust because she may have information to put an end to his being blackmailed. Jason is a successful, wealthy poker player for a very good reason. He can read people; learn things about them just by observing. Because of his astute ability to read people, he believes Skye is not part of the blackmailing scheme.

But who is?

There are so many possible suspects that I had to stay alert while reading, missing no clues. It was nearly 3/4 into the novel before I had a good idea of the villain. It wasn't easy to figure out but I enjoyed the challenge. And I did guess correctly. :)

Skye and Jason are attracted to each other from the beginning despite the trust issues. There relationship builds and developes slowly. In other words, no jumping into bed right away. Skye had some emotional issues she was dealing with that really didn't have anything to do with Jason. She was wary and afraid to get involved in a relationship with him. I though Jason was the perfect hero for Skye. Not only because he was the stereotypical, wealthy, attractive. sexy hero. He was sweet, very patient and understanding of Skye's feelings and fears. This really has nothing to do with Jason personally, but if I had one complaint where he was concerned it would be that I couldn't get inside his head. This story is told in Skye's POV (with one small chapter from Ella). Because of this I often didn't know what Jason was thinking. It took me a while to trust him. Romances told in both H/h POVs is just my preference and in no way reflects negatively on my review. Like I said...it's just what I prefer.

With that said, this book was suspenseful but not overly dark and angsty. I really enjoyed it, read it quickly and will definitely keep Lisa Rene Jones on my TBR list. So if you like romantic suspense that isn't too dark, has some twists and ends with an HEA, I recommend, "Behind Closed Doors."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Behind Closed Doors.

September 19, 2016 – Shelved
September 19, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
September 23, 2016 – Started Reading
September 23, 2016 – Shelved as: arcs
September 23, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
September 24, 2016 –
page 0
0.0% "Ok, been a busy day but now I'm relaxing with my book. Just getting started."
September 25, 2016 – Finished Reading