Kate's Reviews > The Goddess Test

The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter

Jun 13, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: arcs, 2011, age-ya

I read this ARC via Netgalley.

Kate Winters is looking at a long senior year. Her mother is dying, and they've returned to her childhood home to wait for her death. She doesn't plan on making any friends at Eden High School, but immediately several students decide to befriend her: jealous Ava, and James. When Ava dies while playing a cruel trick on Kate, a mysterious guy named Henry shows up and offers to bring Ava back to life. His one condition is that, like the myth of Hades & Persephone, Kate must stay with Henry for half the year.

Kate doesn't make the decision in time, and Ava dies again. So Kate goes to Henry's house, but realizes that she's actually going to ask Henry to make her mother live. Now Kate must stay at Henry's mansion and pass seven tests - if she passes, she will be made immortal.

It took me three weeks to read this book. I had such a hard time getting into it. The concept was interesting, but I had difficulty trying to figure out who the gods were - I had no idea that anyone but Henry (Hades) was a god until the very end (I think this was intentional, as the main character didn't know this either). Time seemed to fly by very quickly, and I didn't "feel" the relationship between Kate and Henry. The long stretches of time where she decides she is falling in love with him are mostly summarized. The ending was sort of expected. (view spoiler). I don't know... it was just kind of "meh" for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Goddess Test.