Michaelene's Reviews > Hooked on Love

Hooked on Love by Jennie Marts

bookshelves: netgalley-arc, contemporary, laugh-out-loud

Looking for a broody, blushing fisherman - one who doesn’t realize how sexy he is? Like to hear about an adventurous city girl writing an article about this gruff fisherman - one she loves making blush for his sexy, lumberjack ways?

Look no further! I giggled and laughed out loud through the entirety of Hooked on Love by Jennie Marts that my face still hurts from grinning ear-to-ear.

Sullivan Reed completely stole my heart, and he hasn’t given it back! His ex, aka the “She-devil,” did such a number on his confidence, by calling him dull and telling him he wasn't good enough. I wanted to shake Sully sometimes and shout, “You’re a catch, you sexy man!”

Thankfully, he has Avery for that. She is such a forthright character, letting Sully know how sexy she finds him. It is adorable how often this gruff man with his beard and fisherman ways blushes throughout this story. He even attempts to dress up for her with his “good” cologne. A first since his ex left him.

Avery is his perfect catch (and yes, that pun is intended). This book is full of puns and innuendo, and I snorted with giggles. I love that Sully didn’t pick up on how dirty his fish lingo sounds either until Avery points it out. When Sully mentions that he doesn’t want the attention of a woman in town, Avery teases him, saying the woman should use a different approach to get his attention.

“If she were smart, she’d take up fishing. I heard it’s a great way to get a rod in your hands.”

And, wait for it ... he blushes!

“How could she make fishing sound so dirty?”

It’s because he’s as hooked on her as she is on him. I love seeing them break their walls down, and I just adored the entire premise. The bold, yet undeniably earnest Avery and the shy, moody Sully. It is a refreshingly fun read, and there isn’t any added drama because this book doesn’t need it.

The characters run this story, and I am honored that for a day, I lived in this story with them.

It also didn’t hurt that halfway through the story my dreams came true. In one part, Sully whips off his shirt in the rain and grabs a power tool (I’ll let you read which one). When Sully sees Avery’s open mouth, he assumes he looks like a scary murderer. Avery sees something else - the same thing as I did. A crazy hot lumberjack! I pumped my fist because, heck, yeah!

Hooked on Love snagged me on the hook and reeled me in. I went along quite willingly, and what a catch this book is.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, dear readers … (picks up fishing rod and car keys)

I think I might head down to a river. In a small town. Probably in the mountains of Colorado.

This girl is goin’ fishin’!

*I was given this arc for an honest review. This review is also part of the Tasty Book Tour. Check it out here!*

Like my reviews? Visit my librarian blog!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hooked on Love.

September 19, 2016 – Started Reading