Petrik's Reviews > The Slow Regard of Silent Things

The Slow Regard of Silent Things by Patrick Rothfuss
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
59458347
's review

it was amazing
bookshelves: owned-physical-books, favorites
Read 2 times. Last read November 30, 2019 to December 1, 2019.

4.5/5 stars

Atmospheric, bizarre, and absolutely enchanting.


Before you start reading The Slow Regard of Silent Things, please make sure you read the author’s foreword first and set your expectations accordingly. Rothfuss has mentioned it himself, this is a different kind of storytelling from his main series, and we won’t get a continuation to Kvothe’s story here; I didn’t listen to his advice on my first read, and it indeed stopped me from enjoying the novella to its fullest potential. I expected something different, found myself disappointed, and I also made the mistake of rushing through the novella on my first read because I decided to read it in the middle of reading The Wise Man’s Fear.

Don’t do what I did on my first read.

On this reread, I savored each page, paying proper attention to the beautifully composed structure of words that gives life to Auri, one of the most enigmatic characters in The Kingkiller Chronicle series; I’m blown away by how much I loved this book upon rereading it.

Picture: The Underthing by Adam J. Marin



The Slow Regard of Silent Things is a novella about Auri’s daily life and her seven days of making sure everything is in their right and proper place before Kvothe’s next visit. It is worth noting that although the novella takes place in-between chapter four and eleven of The Wise Man’s Fear, there isn’t an actual storyline, dialogues, or action scenes to follow here; Auri’s characterizations are entirely defined through her behavior, actions, and her internal thoughts. It’s definitely a bizarre book, it’s unconventional, it’s different, and it’s beautiful.

“Soon. She knew. Soon he would come visiting. Incarnadine and sweet and sad and broken. Just like her.”


I constantly praise Rothfuss’s prose, and even though it’s true that The Slow Regard of Silent Things is written in a different style compared to the main series, it doesn’t change my opinion that Rothfuss is seriously one of the best writers in the genre, maybe even THE best when it’s solely prose-related. The prose in this book is poetic, vivid, and stunningly written; there’s a palpable feeling of proper attention given towards each chosen word. And I genuinely believe that Rothfuss has chosen the right narrative style to tell Auri’s line of thinking.

“She felt the panic rising in her then. She knew. She knew how quickly things could break. You did the things you could. You tended to the world for the world's sake. You hoped you would be safe. But still she knew. It could come crashing down and there was nothing you could do. And yes, she knew she wasn't right. She knew her everything was canted wrong. She knew her head was all unkilter. She knew she wasn't true inside. She knew.”


People who know me closely—my family, girlfriend, and my co-bloggers—know how organized and fixated I can be regarding my books and the arrangement of my inanimate possessions. It honestly troubles me when I know that some things aren’t in the right place. Sometimes, it aggravates me how much time I spend on making sure things are organized and set at the right place/angle/order.

I wish I could let it go, but I can’t.

“Some days simply lay on you like stones. Some were fickle as cats, sliding away when you needed comfort, then coming back later when you didn’t want them, jostling at you, stealing your breath.”


On this reread. I found that The Slow Regard of Silent Things speaks to me profoundly on a level that I thought wasn’t possible. It asked me to listen to Auri’s inner voice, and she told me that it is okay to pay extra care towards the silent things you cherish. It’s good to make sure everything is where it should be. Sure it’s slow, but it’s worth the time; doing things the proper way is right if it means revitalizing your day. It’s lovely to be unique and imperfect in your craving for perfection, even if it’s for the arrangement of things that have silence as their only voice.

“Answers were always important, but they were seldom easy. She would simply have to take her time and do things in the proper way.”


Auri is one of my favorite side characters from the series, and the significant level of emotional resonance found in the brief glimpse of her life in The Underthing is one of the main reasons why The Slow Regard of Silent Things is important to read for fans of the series. This won’t be a book for everyone, and I’m sure many readers would have valid reasons on why this book doesn’t work for them. I, after all, was one of those readers on my first read. On the Author’s Endnote of the novella, Rothfuss has mentioned that readers might enjoy The Slow Regard of Silent Things more on a second reading because most of Rothfuss’s stories are better on reread, and I have to 100% agree with this notion.

“I cannot help but wonder how many of us walk through our lives, day after day, feeling slightly broken and alone, surrounded all the time by others who feel exactly the same way… This story is for all the slightly broken people out there. I am one of you. You are not alone. You are all beautiful to me.”


Please do not skip reading the author’s 9 pages long endnote; in it, Rothfuss states the conception and importance of this novella. The Slow Regard of Silent Things in the hands of the right readers can be a friend, and I consider myself one of those readers. I hope you are, too.

Picture: The Slow Regard of Silent Things by Marc Simonetti



P.S:
The interior artworks are illustrated by Nate Taylor. I personally think he did a fantastic job of amplifying the atmospheric nature of the novella with his illustrations.


You can order the book from: Book Depository (Free shipping)

You can find this and the rest of my reviews at Novel Notions
289 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Slow Regard of Silent Things.
Sign In »

Quotes Petrik Liked

Patrick Rothfuss
“It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true.”
Patrick Rothfuss, The Slow Regard of Silent Things

Patrick Rothfuss
“To be so lovely and so lost. To be all answerful with all that knowing trapped inside. To be beautiful and broken.”
Patrick Rothfuss, The Slow Regard of Silent Things

Patrick Rothfuss
“Some days simply lay on you like stones.”
Patrick Rothfuss, The Slow Regard of Silent Things

Patrick Rothfuss
“I cannot help but wonder how many of us walk through our lives, day after day, feeling slightly broken and alone, surrounded all the time by others who feel exactly the same way.”
Patrick Rothfuss, The Slow Regard of Silent Things

Patrick Rothfuss
“This story is for all the slightly broken people out there. I am one of you. You are not alone. You are all beautiful to me.”
Patrick Rothfuss, The Slow Regard of Silent Things

Patrick Rothfuss
“Some things simply were too true to stay. Some merely came to visit for a while.”
Patrick Rothfuss, The Slow Regard of Silent Things

Patrick Rothfuss
“She felt the panic rising in her then. She knew. She knew how quickly things could break. You did the things you could. You tended to the world for the world's sake. You hoped you would be safe. But still she knew. It could come crashing down and there was nothing you could do. And yes, she knew she wasn't right. She knew her everything was canted wrong. She knew her head was all unkilter. She knew she wasn't true inside. She knew.”
Patrick Rothfuss, The Slow Regard of Silent Things


Reading Progress

September 19, 2016 – Shelved
April 1, 2017 – Started Reading
April 2, 2017 – Finished Reading
November 30, 2019 – Started Reading
December 1, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)

dateDown arrow    newest »

Tammie What I liked about this is that we get to know and understand how Auri's mind works. I would like to know more of her backstory too though. I also loved the illustrations.


Petrik Tammie wrote: "What I liked about this is that we get to know and understand how Auri's mind works. I would like to know more of her backstory too though. I also loved the illustrations."

I really wish we could find out more of her backstory Tammie, that was my expectation of this novella :(
Like you, I really loved the illustrations though, they're gorgeous!


Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller Backstory was my expectation too. I wasn't as kind in reviewing this novella as I could have been. It really let me down!


Petrik Niki Hawkes wrote: "Backstory was my expectation too. I wasn't as kind in reviewing this novella as I could have been. It really let me down!"

Me too Niki! I agree with you! I love Auri, it's really a pity that all we get from this novella is this :(


Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller If we don't learn more in the third book, I'm going to be very disappointed. She's such a cool character!


message 6: by Warda (new) - added it

Warda I couldn't even finish this novella. I really enjoyed her story in the actual books. But this was so annoying to read lol


message 7: by Colleen (new)

Colleen This is why I rarely read in between novellas! They are kind of like deleted movie scenes: if you couldn't fit it in the book/movie then it probably got cut for a reason! And because I see a lot of publishers pushing these out to make more money and tide fans over until the next book comes out. But they rarely add anything noteworthy.


Petrik Niki Hawkes wrote: "If we don't learn more in the third book, I'm going to be very disappointed. She's such a cool character!"

I agree with you Niki! well I haven't finished WMF but from what I read so far, Rothfuss has a LOT to address in Doors of Stone that the bigger chance is that it will be a disappointment to a lot of people.

Warda wrote: "I couldn't even finish this novella. I really enjoyed her story in the actual books. But this was so annoying to read lol"

No worries Warda, it's totally understandable. If you don't like since the first part, you won't grow to like it by the end, believe me I tried. :p


Petrik Colleen wrote: "This is why I rarely read in between novellas! They are kind of like deleted movie scenes: if you couldn't fit it in the book/movie then it probably got cut for a reason! And because I see a lot of..."

Well said Colleen!! Up until now, there's only a few novella that I found worthwhile to read, Emperor's Souls, Edgedancer and Secret History, all by Brandon Sanderson cause they actually provide a huge amount of information to the character and storyline. I guess in general novellas just doesn't sit right for me, they're too short for me to get attached and most of the time like you said, is just a cash grab.


Caleb M. This book was not for me either. It was one big, jumbled, chaotic mess. With that being said, it also shows Rothfuss's skill as a writer. He seems to be able to change prose like it doesn't even bother him. You could gibe this book to someone who read King killer and tell them this was written by a fan and they would believe you if you didn't know it already existed. He is just gifted.


Petrik Caleb wrote: "This book was not for me either. It was one big, jumbled, chaotic mess. With that being said, it also shows Rothfuss's skill as a writer. He seems to be able to change prose like it doesn't even bo..."

I know what you mean Caleb. Can't say I disagree with what you said there, the writing is different from his main series, like he mentioned in the beginning of the book but it's still great.


Skylar Phelps Well said, Petrik. I usually try to rate and review books according to the book's purpose and how it fulfills the promises it makes. For example some books are meant to be entertaining, some insightful, and others exist to make you laugh. This book, I felt had no purpose and that's why I couldn't get into it.


Petrik Skylar wrote: "Well said, Petrik. I usually try to rate and review books according to the book's purpose and how it fulfills the promises it makes. For example some books are meant to be entertaining, some insigh..."

Thank you Skylar! I agree with you but I think for me most of all, the important part of my review is my enjoyment factor of the book, which honestly I can't find here. :/


Charley Robson I'm with you on the pointlessness front. Like, there were cool moments? But ... yeah, there was a lot of promising buildup for no real payoff. Disappointing. Here's hoping it's not an omen of books to come... whenever they do come that is :P


Petrik Charley wrote: "I'm with you on the pointlessness front. Like, there were cool moments? But ... yeah, there was a lot of promising buildup for no real payoff. Disappointing. Here's hoping it's not an omen of books..."

Don't count on it coming soon Charley! XD


Charley Robson I wasn't going to. But I can dream! I can dream, dammit!


Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ So are you saying maybe Rothfuss wrote this one himself & didn't have his sweatshop workers do it? HAHAH great review love I'm sorry this one wasn't great for you! <3


Celeste Great review, my dear! This book was indeed an odd one.


message 19: by Lady Luna. ✨ (new)

Lady Luna. ✨ Great review precious ! I'm so sorry it wasn't that good >.<


Alan-Without-Poe This rating breaks my heart, I loved this book so badly.


Alan-Without-Poe And then I read the comments on this post, please someone invent a time machine.


Petrik ☽Luna☾ wrote: "Great review precious ! I'm so sorry it wasn't that good >.<"

Thanks Sarah. Yeah this novella s a miss fot me.

Celeste wrote: "Great review, my dear! This book was indeed an odd one."

Thanks my dear! It was way too weird!! XD


Petrik Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ wrote: "So are you saying maybe Rothfuss wrote this one himself & didn't have his sweatshop workers do it? HAHAH great review love I'm sorry this one wasn't great for you! <3"

Hahahaha thank you Mary! Rothfuss actually said is his endnkte "i break a sweat" and i remember you!! :D


Petrik Alan, but please, feel free to call me Ragnar Lothbrok wrote: "This rating breaks my heart, I loved this book so badly."

Haha i'm glad that you love the book Alan but dont be sad, no book can work for everyone! :)


message 25: by TS (new)

TS Chan Great review! I'd probably enjoy reading this more than the book (which I decided NOT to read).

I almost bathe this book with a soap during that section.
--> LOL!!


Petrik TS wrote: "Great review! I'd probably enjoy reading this more than the book (which I decided NOT to read).

I almost bathe this book with a soap during that section.
--> LOL!!"


Thank you TS! Haha glad you find that part amusing! Oh believe me don't read this one, I know you're going to hate it! :D


message 27: by TS (new)

TS Chan I found this amusing too!

I do love and took care of my possessions REALLY carefully and I find her behavior on this subject really relatable (I don’t kiss my stuffs though)

I do hug my books sometimes though. :P


Petrik TS wrote: "I found this amusing too!

I do love and took care of my possessions REALLY carefully and I find her behavior on this subject really relatable (I don’t kiss my stuffs though)

I do hug my books som..."


Hey me too!! I don't think I can get through a day now without feeling a physical book, the feel of those pages give me life! and don't forget book sniffing! :p


message 29: by TS (new)

TS Chan Hahahahaha! Yes! Book sniffing, cover and page stroking, oh erm..


Petrik TS wrote: "Hahahahaha! Yes! Book sniffing, cover and page stroking, oh erm.."

ermmmmm xD


James Tivendale I preferred this to the actual series by a mile. Good review though, dude :)


Petrik James wrote: "I preferred this to the actual series by a mile. Good review though, dude :)"

This doesn't really work for me honestly. Thanks man


Alan-Without-Poe Petrik wrote: "Alan, but please, feel free to call me Ragnar Lothbrok wrote: "This rating breaks my heart, I loved this book so badly."

Haha i'm glad that you love the book Alan but dont be sad, no book can work..."


Oh, I already knew that. But that doesn't avoid the fact that it makes me feel a little sad the amount of people who dislike this fantastic book. It's like when arrives the day when one of our loved ones dies. We know that sooner or later this day would come. This knowledge doesn´t save us from the deeply pain.


Petrik Alan, but please, feel free to call me Ragnar Lothbrok wrote: "Petrik wrote: "Alan, but please, feel free to call me Ragnar Lothbrok wrote: "This rating breaks my heart, I loved this book so badly."

Haha i'm glad that you love the book Alan but dont be sad, n..."


That's.... really well said Alan xD


Bethany Yeah, if you're looking for plot or more of the same as NOTW or WMF this is not for you. But I adored it for what it was... I actually read it twice, which is super rare for me.


Petrik Bethany wrote: "Yeah, if you're looking for plot or more of the same as NOTW or WMF this is not for you. But I adored it for what it was... I actually read it twice, which is super rare for me."

Exactly Bethany! I just wish there's more background to Auri. I'm glad that you love this novella! :D


Maja Ingrid Lovely review Petrik! So happy you loved it this second time around! 😀


Petrik Maja Ingrid wrote: "Lovely review Petrik! So happy you loved it this second time around! 😀"

Thank you, Maja! As expected, rereading it with the right mindset brought amazing results! :D


message 39: by Lucia (new)

Lucia You know what, I ADORE full length novels by Patrick Rothfuss but I never even considered reading this novella. Until know when you change my mind. I will make sure to read it next time I am re-reading NOTW and WMF :)


Petrik Lucia wrote: "You know what, I ADORE full length novels by Patrick Rothfuss but I never even considered reading this novella. Until know when you change my mind. I will make sure to read it next time I am re-rea..."

I LOVED the main series by Rothfuss, Lucia! But I totally understand your hesitation with this novella, as I mentioned in my review, I didn't enjoy this book on my first read due to several circumstances and how different the book was from the main series. On reread it was so good though imo. I hope you will love it! :)


Rowan YES! I love this little strange gem of a book with all my heart, and I’m so glad you enjoyed it more the second time around. I reread it immediately after finishing it the first time a couple years back and definitely had a similar experience, feeling like I was missing something at first. Thanks for reminding me that I’ve wanted to reread it again! :)


message 42: by Petrik (last edited Dec 04, 2019 07:55AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Petrik Rowan wrote: "YES! I love this little strange gem of a book with all my heart, and I’m so glad you enjoyed it more the second time around. I reread it immediately after finishing it the first time a couple years..."

Thank you, Rowan! It's such a beautiful book and I'm so pleased that I decided to give it another read. I knew I was missing something on my first read! Definitely reread it again one day, this series, despite being unfinished, is truly special! :)


Feral goblin child &#x1f343; I loved this one so much too 💕


Petrik Feral goblin child 🍃 wrote: "I loved this one so much too 💕"

Yay!! Glad to hear that! :)


Feral goblin child &#x1f343; This is my comfort read, something i re-read again and again 💜


Petrik Feral goblin child 🍃 wrote: "This is my comfort read, something i re-read again and again 💜"

Seems like it will be mine too! :)


back to top