Rika's Reviews > Fancy Pants

Fancy Pants by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

Jun 13, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: romance

This was pretty darn good. It was good enough that if the two main characters did not end up together I would have loved it all the same.
I know shock horror right a romance and the two romancees not ending up together.:0.
But alas finally a romance writer ( not that she didn't know before) understands that characters can develop without it all being about the romantic plot or conflict.
I loved how the three main characters went through their changes. The fact that they all had to rise above some pretty nasty adversity, added an edge to the romance. Especially the loss of the child, it was really nice to see it was not an easy read because of issues like this.
It lasted longer amount of time then most romance novels do considering their story basically spanned a decade, added that realistic feel that love is not instantaneous.
Dallie Beaudine resonated strongly of Bobby Tom Denton which bothered me a bit. The blonde hair, blue eyes, super charm, good looks, texan accent, need to help people.....But at least finally SEP has a male character (although in the one with the ginger and the computers the guy wasn't successful at first as well, I didn't like him so he doesn't count), that isn't successful from the start but has to work his way to the top. Double hallelujah although he was devastatingly handsome which detracted from him the fear of failure made him super lovable. Not to mention the guilt. I liked loved his vulnerability.
Francesca was also such a good character at the end. I loved how hard she worked to get to where she was (although many SEP female characters do). The cleaning lady part really reminded me of Call Me Irresistible and Meg Koranda. Like mother in law , like daughter in law.
The secondary love story was really cute, and one I never saw coming. I thought she was going to pair Francie and Gerry and Dallie and Holly.
That was something else I loved about this story. I didn't know which heroine to root for, and who Dallie to end up with. Cos Holly was a pretty cool character.I don't think I would have minded either way, though I'm a sucker for childhood friends turned into lovers.
Overall a refreshing and interesting read. Very high end of chick lit perharps even transcending the genre.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fancy Pants.

June 13, 2011 – Started Reading
June 13, 2011 – Shelved
June 13, 2011 –
page 108
21.82% "refreshing. Thoroughly refreshing."
June 14, 2011 –